Wine

I have to admit that I bought a bird quite awhile ago -- guinea fowl. That's become our go-to Thanksgiving meat. I'll probably make a demi-glace sauce for it but I haven't decided which high-end Pinot Noir to pull out of the wine refrigerator. It's a fundamental decision of whether to go with the confidence of selecting tried and true or to go with the thrill of a wine I've never drunk that has the potential to become my next new favorite of all favorites.

What wine would you serve with bulgogi? The soy sauce and sesame seed oil tell me to serve Alsatian Gewurtzraminer but that might be too light for the beef. The beef tells me to serve a red wine, but I can't think of one that would go well with the soy sauce and sesame seed oil.

Sorry that I can't provide details about the relative strength of the various flavors of this particular bulgogi, as this is the first time I've fixed it and it won't be cooked until tonight. The recipe is at https://www.justonecookbook.com/bulgogi-korean-grilled-beef/

What wine would you serve with bulgogi? The soy sauce and sesame seed oil tell me to serve Alsatian Gewurtzraminer but that might be too light for the beef. The beef tells me to serve a red wine, but I can't think of one that would go well with the soy sauce and sesame seed oil.

Sorry that I can't provide details about the relative strength of the various flavors of this particular bulgogi, as this is the first time I've fixed it and it won't be cooked until tonight. The recipe is at https://www.justonecookbook.com/bulgogi-korean-grilled-beef/

My wife would say "just drink beer". I don't know of any wine that wouldn't be destroyed by soy sauce.

But if you find a good choice I will be interested in knowing what it is.

Real Name
Doug
I wish I hadn't drunk my only bottle of Barbera a few days ago, as that might have been the best pairing of everything I've got. I'm gonna try a Chianti Classico Riserva because that seems to be probably the best choice of the red wines currently in my house.
My wife is from Korea so we have bulgogi and galbi pretty often. Chianti or Sangiovese both work well in my experience. If the recipe is heavy on the fresh ginger then the suggestion for a fruity wine is, ahem, not so good. Let us know how the Chianti works out.

Real Name
Doug
This recipe has no ginger.
Which points out a common American misconception about "foreign" cuisines. My wife's recipes are her late mom's recipes. They originate in the southern tip of the peninsula. If you eat the same dish in Seoul the spices and flavor will be very different. Same thing applies with an exponent to "Mexican" cuisine. On one of my business trips to Mexico City our marketing manager for Central American took several of us out to dinner in the Centro Historico. My meal consisted of thinly sliced beef with a reduced pepper sauce. There wasn't even a hint of cumin or garlic. It was sweet and spicy and, if you had served it to me without knowing where it was prepared, just about the last place I would have guessed is Mexico.

My wife's recipes are her late mom's recipes. They originate in the southern tip of the peninsula. If you eat the same dish in Seoul the spices and flavor will be very different.

Think of all the different versions of dressing that will be served at Thanksgiving. The same for all the different versions of pad thai in Thailand. The one characteristic I noticed that is common to all pad thai I ate in Thailand is that it's not nearly as sweet as the pad thai served in America.

Latest threads

Top Bottom