Wine

I remember those photos, Mitch. Nice to see them again!

I have a good bottle of Stag's Leap Cabernet to open this evening. They won the red wine category.

I always have to look up whether it was Stag's Leap or Stags' Leap that won. (Notice the placement of the apostrophe.) You're right that Stag's Leap won.

The winning chardonnay was from Chateau Montelena.

That wine was made by Mike Grgich, who left Chateau Montelena I think the next year and started his own winery. A couple years later he took first prize for another Chardonnay that beat out hundreds of Chardonnays in a wine tasting held in Chicago. Grgich's partner was and still is Austin Hills, one of the men in the family famous for its Hills Brothers brand of coffee. Thus, the winery's name is Grgich Hills Estate. Grgich, who turned 97 on April 1, is not mentioned in the movie.

Jim: If your choice is the movie or the Metropolitan Opera, go for the opera. At least the opera doesn't even try to pretend that it's accurate. :D

Interesting that you are aware of the trade-offs I am contemplating. It's a choice of "Bottle Shock" or Anna Netrebko and Piotr Beczala in Massenet's Manon. We'll probably go with Manon.

California's governor has issued a mandate allowing wineries' tasting rooms to open up if they serve sit-down dine-in meals; wineries that only provide wine tastings aren't allowed to open. Napa County doesn't allow wineries to serve sit-down dine-in meals, so those wineries aren't yet allowed to open their tasting rooms. Famous Napa Valley winery Caymus is suing in federal court on the basis that the governor is responsible for treating like businesses in a like manner and that this is not happening. All of that is according to Wine Spectator.

Apparently the governor of California didn't see my recent post about how my wine consumption surely prevented me from contracting covid-19. ?

Sad state of affairs in California wine country at this moment.

I never realized how much of their revenue is made in their tasting rooms. Several wineries claim that up to 40% of their revenue is made through tasting room sales! This seems rather high to me given that many wineries don't even do tastings. Of course their overall revenue is also down due to restaurant closures.

I'm doing my best to support my favorite wineries with online purchases, but my cellar is filling up despite my best efforts at consumption.

Latest threads

Top Bottom