Wine

I'm a heathen. I drink a full bodied red wine with even a delicate fish. It's more about the enjoyment of the wine than the proper pairing with specific foods.
I know a couple real foodies that only like red wine, so that's what they drink when they eat even the lightest of light fish. I can't imagine drinking a wine you don't like simply because it's the so-called ideal pairing. Good for you for drinking what you like!
Amen Mitch (y) ?

Add me to the chorus. Though I usually start with the wine and figure out foods to go best with it. Or, even better, have a choice of wines.

When I first started drinking wine a few (!) years ago, I did a lot of reading about the beverage. All of the books addressed wine as the appropriate drink with food, and gave instructions as to which wines accompany which foods best. I developed my palate with those suggestions in mind and have always approached it that way.

To me, a full-bodied red with a delicate fish just doesn't work. The wine overpowers the delicate flavors in the fish. It would be like drinking a delicate white wine, like Riesling, with red spaghetti sauce - you wouldn't be able to taste the wine.

But to each his own! Let's all raise a glass and enjoy.

When I first started drinking wine a few (!) years ago, I did a lot of reading about the beverage. All of the books addressed wine as the appropriate drink with food, and gave instructions as to which wines accompany which foods best. I developed my palate with those suggestions in mind and have always approached it that way.

To me, a full-bodied red with a delicate fish just doesn't work. The wine overpowers the delicate flavors in the fish. It would be like drinking a delicate white wine, like Riesling, with red spaghetti sauce - you wouldn't be able to taste the wine.

Sure. And there are pairings made in heaven. And a few made in hell. Some domestic Rieslings are so pathetically bad that they deserved to be drunk with a big, bold red spaghetti sauce!!! :devil:

Same path for me. I've also been fortunate to have a broad variety of wines to sample with a wide range of foods. I'd never serve a red with filet of sole with butter, capers and lemon. Seems almost uncivilized.

I have friends with distinct only white or only red biases. That's where a catfish in pepper stew with rice - hot sauce at the ready - comes in handy, perhaps with a roasted chicken and BBQ spare ribs. I can serve both kinds and everyone can be happy.

Don't get me wrong, I tend toward classical pairings but am very willing, and most likely, to push the boundaries. Sole and flounder with white for sure—but anything from Rhone varietals/blends to German and Austrian whites, and wines from the Loire, NZ, and PNW. Chicken—all bets are off. As is pork. Gravies and sauces make a huge impact on wine choice and enjoyment. A wine I like with just about everything—Indian curries to German spaetzle, and most Italian fare, Pizzas and even pickled herring: Rueda Verdejo, Martinsancho.
I tend to avoid the cliché pairings: sweet riesling and curry; Chianti and "spaghetti"; and so on.

Chicken—all bets are off. As is pork. Gravies and sauces make a huge impact on wine choice and enjoyment.

I'm with you there. Grilled chicken with rosemary requires Pinot Noir, whereas chicken with a white sauce and mushrooms wants Chardonnay or some other white.

And with pork, it generally depends on how it is cooked and seasoned. I've used everything from Zinfandel to Riesling. And beer.

Grilled chicken with rosemary requires Pinot Noir, whereas chicken with a white sauce and mushrooms wants Chardonnay or some other white.
We did a roast chicken that had marinated overnight in buttermilk, and no spices other than salt and pepper. An Oregon Pinot and an Alsatian Gewurzt did equally well. A couple of weeks earlier an Aussie shiraz and a ID Syrah held sway with the same meal. I suspect the right Rosé would do well too—especially on a hot evening outside!

We did a roast chicken that had marinated overnight in buttermilk, and no spices other than salt and pepper. An Oregon Pinot and an Alsatian Gewurzt did equally well. A couple of weeks earlier an Aussie shiraz and a ID Syrah held sway with the same meal. I suspect the right Rosé would do well too—especially on a hot evening outside!

Chicken is very versatile.

Wow, dinner at Nick's. Even I would enjoy those pairings.

Paella tonight with a young Napa Cabernet called Meadowcroft. Delish!!

2020061515533494--6054339556271172411-image-X2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Gravies and sauces make a huge impact on wine choice and enjoyment.

It's not just that they make a huge impact; they're the deciding factor when it comes to picking the wine. When I go to a restaurant and I'm being really discriminating, I ask the waiter to bring me a small amount of the sauce so I can pick the wine. Either that or I go with the sommelier's recommendation.

Latest threads

Top Bottom