Wine

Had a work trip up to Trento. Being a lousy day I visited a small local vineyard and stocked up with their excellent Teroldego, Lagrein and Marzemino, all at €10 for 5 litres "bag in box" which is much cheaper than buying bottles.

came back with 25 litres, which should keep us sane in our new "Lockdown" world.

Sounds like a steal of a deal. I'm not familiar with any of those. Are then red, white, or some of each?

I just now read the description of a Chardonnay that I bought. Four of the flavors are crushed river rock, chalky white earth, polished steel and snow melt. I'm considering sending it back based only on that description.

I wonder whether they think unpolished steel is better or worse than polished steel?
Wine Folly (AlanTardi) described a 10 year ld Tawny Port as, "The aromas tend more to tire-tread, burnt orange peel, and nutty toastiness, which opens up on the palate with a fanfare of honeyed fruits and nuts, a lean silky texture, and a long finish."

I'm curious, is it the tread per-se, the rubber that actually meets the road, of the sidewall, or the bead? And is it Michelin, Dunlop, or Nokian or ????

Preparing;

bilph3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Edit: Can anyone identify this album cover?

Last edited:
I'm reasonably confident I drank my first Petit Chablis last night, as I don't remember hearing of that appellation in Burgundy. Made of Chardonnay, it was light, bright and smooth but lacking in character. I enjoyed it with oyster stew, which proved to be an excellent pairing mostly because the wine was a contrast with the heavy stew.

Has anyone here tried the Conundrum White Blend by Caymus? Says it's a blend of Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Semillon, Muscat Canelli, Viognier.

Several years ago I posted a thread about a DYI slide duplicator I built out of a Conundrum wine box. I still have that device, but I've never tried a Conundrum wine.

This one says it's a 2018 vintage.

But with your ringing endorsement I think I'll pass.
My wife corrected me too—it is a vintage dated blend.
When well made it was an intriguing wine that changed as it warmed up (all wines do) so you could identify the different grapes in the blend. My wife, being a slow drinker, liked that. She liked the conundrum, I whined about the lack of clear character.

I haven't had that wine in at least ten years, maybe 20. The few times I drank it the blend was primarily based on Sauvignon Blanc. I have no idea about now.

Coincidentally, I bought four bottles of the 2018 vintage from WTSO.com this morning. That's partly because it was at a good price about 17% cheaper by volume than at Total Wine. I bought it mostly because it is in 1-liter bottles, which I've never had and because I would like to photograph them. I'll have them soon and will make a point of drinking it right away to let you know what I think.

I've purchased and consumed at least one case of Caymus cabernet each year since 1978. I LOVE their wine and have met all the family including Charlie Sr.. I've tasted Conundrum when it was first released and several times thereafter. My personal opinion is that it's cute and very tasty. I think the Wagner family knows what they're doing but the Conundrum isn't something I would buy at its price point. But don't get me started on their beautiful cab. ? :)?

Latest threads

Top Bottom