Wine

As if it isn't already hard enough to find red wine made with alcohol by volume below 14%, I fear the tariffs will motivate wine makers to make even more high-alcohol wine.

I wrote that in July 2020. I didn't realize until just now that in January 2021 America made the tariff, which is 25%, in effect on all French and German wines. Spanish wines at 14% alcohol and above still are not subject to the tariff.

The tariffs apparently tremendously impact at least the French wineries. Sales by volume to America increased every year from 2010 through 2019. Yet in the first nine months of 2020, sales fell 37%.

All this according to Wine Spectator.

Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 13.28.18.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/16/...-all-surfaces-decay-decay-02&imp_id=856789079

Mike, you're the grape expert. Have you heard of these?

The native Hondarrabi Zuri and Hondarrabi Beltza grape varieties are used to create fresh, zippy wines that reflect the wines most famous to the region. Rosé Txakoli is made with the combination of the two grapes and has a slight pink color and still a great amount of balance and structure. This wine has a standout frui forward taste with elegant aromatic and intensity in freshness, salinity, with 11% alcohol.

The wine is from Spain.

Jim, my notes from a tasting we did in 2019--

Hondarrabi Zuri is the major white variety of Spain's Basque Country, and is used to make the spritzy, refreshing Txacoli wines—light, citrusy, with herbal and mineral components. Great with tapas-like snacks, seafood and slightly spicy foods—GREAT on a hot afternoon!

Hondarrabi Beltza is the dominant dark-skinned variety of the Basque region, it is used to make Txakoli (pronounced Chac-o-lee) wine in both red and rosé styles. Somewhat like a light version of Cab Franc, to which it may be related.

Nick nailed it, which is no surprise considering that he might have drunk more unknown grapes than I have but never bothered to count them. The one Txacoli wine I had was a white wine that had just a bit of effervescence. The one Hondurabi Beltza that I had was blended with Mavrodaphne and Frapatto and was served with the most expensive restaurant dinner I've ever had, I think a seven-course meal. (As an aside, that meal convinced me never to spend big-time again on restaurant dinners. Though the food and experience were absolutely top-notch, that's just no longer my cup of tea, ahem, so to speak.)

Last edited:
Mike I think you are way ahead of me on grape varieties. I can't find my list right now, but I believe I am some 25-40 behind you.
I love the white Txacoli, red not so much, rose is OK but needs to be consumed young (< 2 year).

Thanks, folks. I had never heard of either variety so I thought I might have something new for you.

A 2017 vintage is offered this week by our local wine shop for $9.95, discounted from $27. :eek:

I don't remember any of our guys here that especially favor big wines mentioning Amarone, so I wonder if those that enjoy big Cabs also enjoy Amarone. Rick, Mitch, others? I'm a huge fan of Amarone but I think of the wine as one that people tend to love or hate.

I just now received a shipment of Amarone that, though it was released at $45, I bought it for $25. Wine Spectator says it's really good. Even if it's not as great as a really wonderful Amarone, I really can't go wrong at that price. The company that sold it to me included the following in their write-up: "You'll want to decant for at least an hour, then buckle up." I hope that's not just the marketing folks unjustifiably amping up the hype. When I'm in the right mood, that's my kind of wine!

I have one bottle of 2008 Amarone in my cellar that a neighbor gave me several years ago and I've been saving for a special occasion that hasn't arrived yet.

I did taste some at a wine tasting last year, along with a Barolo, but I don't remember my impressions.

Bottom line: I can't contribute to this discussion, but I'll be interested in what others say.

Do you dislike all wine on its own or just certain wines? If it's the latter, I'm not surprised that you don't like Amarone on its own. That's because that fits in with the love-it-or-hate-it aspect I've noticed among people.
Its richness demands food. Big Cabs do too, Barolo, as well, but the modern style that is now in vogue makes them easier to drink alone. Of course, if its a choice between no wine and an Amarone - - - ? for sure!

Latest threads

Top Bottom