Wine

Spent Mothers Day Weekend in Walla Walla with my Wife, Son, Daughter, their friends and 3 dogs. We had finally been accepted to Leonetti Cellar and planned on visiting the one time a year they allow it for their spring release but it was cancelled due to covid. We decided to go anyway and glad we did. It was amazing to get out and about and feel normal again.

Highlights were Long Shadows, àMaurice Cellars and North Star Winery with Pepper Bridge not far behind. Enjoyed some great meals and special events for what still was an active release weekend in Walla Walla. With our 2 dogs I didn't bother to bring any camera gear but our iPhone's were able to capture a few memories.

Crew 1_1000p.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

George_Janelle_16_1000p.jpg

Sunset_8_1000p.jpg

Today is National Wine Day. I think that kind of day is silly, as every day is Wine Day in my household.

Last night my wife and I enjoyed the most unusual wine -- 100% Cabernet Franc made from grapes that were harvested last fall. I would have thought a light Cabernet Franc would be an oxymoron but the wine was both light and delightful. It was made in the Bourgueil wine region, which I had never heard of even though it's apparently the second most important Cab Franc region behind only the famous Chinon region. Both regions are in the Loire Valley, which is where I would have been two years ago if the pandemic hadn't hit.

Yes, everyday is wine day for us. Here are a couple from Vīn, our local wine store/wine bar, from yesterday evening (a cab/merlot blend from WA). Today I'm a guest of the store and will taste wines with 3 of it's distributors/import agents. (tomorrow I flush my liver :cool: )

IMG_3622.jpg

IMG_3621.jpg

Italian day
italian diner.JPG

“Great people talk about ideas, average people talk about things, and small people talk about wine,” quipped Fran Lebowitz.

I could go on forever about that, but I won't. I'll restrain myself to mention only that people that call other people small are the very last people I would look to for anything, much less advice about what to talk about.

I could go on forever about that, but I won't. I'll restrain myself to mention only that people that call other people small are the very last people I would look to for anything, much less advice about what to talk about.
Agreed. And reading about that person, who I had never heard of, convinces me that we would disagree about many other things.

Box wine
There was a time quite a few years ago when we bought box wine to save money, but not anymore. I've been tempted by a few in the past few years but always worry that if I don't like it I've got an awful lot of wine on my hands that I need to do something with.

I bring it up now because the most recent wine column in the Wall Street Journal is on box wine. I was really surprised to see Lettie Teague use "wine" and "box" in the same sentence! She did say that of the several she tried, some were pretty awful. But she did pick five she thought were quite good.

Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 5.38.18 PM.png

I've never tried any of them so I can't comment. Even if they are good, I don't think they would be practical for just the two of us. But if you're throwing a big party...

Real Name
Doug
Box wine
There was a time quite a few years ago when we bought box wine to save money, but not anymore. I've been tempted by a few in the past few years but always worry that if I don't like it I've got an awful lot of wine on my hands that I need to do something with.

I bring it up now because the most recent wine column in the Wall Street Journal is on box wine. I was really surprised to see Lettie Teague use "wine" and "box" in the same sentence! She did say that of the several she tried, some were pretty awful. But she did pick five she thought were quite good.

I've never tried any of them so I can't comment. Even if they are good, I don't think they would be practical for just the two of us. But if you're throwing a big party...
I've had much better luck than she reports on shelf life. I would add the Bota Box Old Vine Zinfandel to the list. It's a very drinkable red.

I've had much better luck than she reports on shelf life. I would add the Bota Box Old Vine Zinfandel to the list. It's a very drinkable red.

Thanks for the tip.

My wife and I have rather different tastes in wine. I prefer drier wine than she does, so it would be hard to choose a boxed wine now that we would both enjoy enough to finish in a reasonable time. I end up having two or three different wines open at a time to please both palates.

I thoroughly enjoyed a blend of 70% Chardonnay and 30% Tressallier tonight. It is probably unlike any white wine I've ever had yet tastes really great, especially as a bright and lively summer wine. The Tressallier was completely new to me. Wikipedia indicates that it might be better known as Sacy and that there are about 30 synonyms.

I thoroughly enjoyed a blend of 70% Chardonnay and 30% Tressallier tonight. It is probably unlike any white wine I've ever had yet tastes really great, especially as a bright and lively summer wine. The Tressallier was completely new to me. Wikipedia indicates that it might be better known as Sacy and that there are about 30 synonyms.

Where is the wine from?

Real Name
Doug
A new three part series of articles by the WSJ wine columnist aims to educate a young man (the son of one of the writer's friends) in the basics of wine. The first part was in today's online issue. She was discussing the basic technique of sniffing. 'Sniffing, I noted, is best done in short bursts. What did Julian smell? “The first word that comes to mind is wine,” he replied.'

That's me.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/wine-t...-and-techniques-11623954714?mod=hp_listc_pos2

A new three part series of articles by the WSJ wine columnist aims to educate a young man (the son of one of the writer's friends) in the basics of wine. The first part was in today's online issue. She was discussing the basic technique of sniffing. 'Sniffing, I noted, is best done in short bursts. What did Julian smell? “The first word that comes to mind is wine,” he replied.'

That's me.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/wine-t...-and-techniques-11623954714?mod=hp_listc_pos2

I generally read all of Lettie's columns but hadn't discovered this one yet. Thanks for alerting me.

Latest threads

Top Bottom