Winter at Craters of the Moon

Real Name
Dan
Craters of the Moon National Monument in Idaho is a nice place for winter. The visitor center is right off a major highway which is plowed in the winter. The parking lot at the visitor center is also plowed in the winter. There is a scenic loop drive that is closed to cars but is groomed during winter and is relatively easy to traverse with skis or snowshoes. I say relatively easy because it is still quite cold there. There tends to be a lot of snow at Craters of the Moon, and even last winter when we didn't have much snow in Idaho there was a decent amount there.

Getting out before sunrise was a little unpleasant.

Last edited:

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
One of my favorite areas. I have been there in mid July and found snow/ice in some of the tubes, tunnels, and or rock crevices.

Very nice winter capture of the area. Great skies.

It's a fascinating place anytime of the year, though most of my trips have been in late May (with 40 students in tow!). Never been there in the winter, but you have done so well sharing that season with us!

Real Name
Bill
Beautiful images.

When we go to Boise to visit the kids we always take the "Northern" route by Craters. Much more scenic than playing dodgems with the trucks on I84. Due to the distance it's usually mid morning by the time we reach there. While we occasionally stop I'm always left wondering how much wildlife is there to be found there because by mid morning I never see anything. There has to be some early or late. Do you ever see much?

Real Name
Dan
Thanks Karen. I love the results I get from winter photography, but it takes a lot of effort to get all those layers on. I am really hoping for a good snow year this winter. Last year I didn't have any native lenses and now I have 3. The Z 70-200 especially has my heart beating because that is my favorite range for winter shots and it is a fantastic lens.

Real Name
Dan
Thanks Palouse and Bill. I mostly just see rabbits and antelope out there. I think that there could be deer and elk because of the close proximity to mountains, but I haven't seen any.

Very nice set Dan. Although #2 is my fav too, if you crop #1 from the bottom it might make a very beautiful pano which might compete with #2.

Real Name
Dan
Very nice set Dan. Although #2 is my fav too, if you crop #1 from the bottom it might make a very beautiful pano which might compete with #2.
Thanks. I think that I did crop #1 when I was processing these and that the cropped version is saved on my computer. If not, I should go back and do that.

Latest threads

Top Bottom