WINTER DREAM frozen lake in Chicago

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by FishSauce, Sep 21, 2005.

1. FishSauce

FishSauce

Aug 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    This picture was taken last winter in subzero degre. Hope you like it

Ben

WINTER DREAM
    [​IMG]

2. Man, I find this fascinating. The ice is not flat which means the wind must have frozen the white caps as they were occuring. Just doesn't happen that way out here. Cool.

3. FishSauce

FishSauce

Aug 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Gordon,
    I think that you are right. Have you notice the birds? It was so cold that they did not want to fly, I had to throw a couple slice of bread in the air and then they went nut :smile:

Ben

4. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Gordon :

That's almost certainly snow on the ice which has blown to form those crests. The Great Lakes usually have a substantial snow layer over the ice, which in a good winter, is easily strong enough to drive a truck towing an icefishing shed out to a location for the season.

I've worked over all of the Great Lakes in winter, so this isn't random supposition.

It's a bit different than Utah, that's for sure. :tongue:

John P.

5. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Ben,
    Very good photo. It has many elements in it and it makes you want to study it.

Sub zero on the lake and you're out taking pictures. Are you nuts? :smile:

Mike

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Very nice image, Ben. I have wanted to get down to the lakeshore to get some similar images, but staying in a warm environment is much more practical. One shot that has always interested me is from the same vantage point as your image, but with the water not frozen and steam rising upward in the cold weather. But tough to go out in the freezing cold!!! Maybe this winter????? :confused:

7. Brrrr......great shot Ben...it's going to get here again soon :eek:

8. FishSauce

FishSauce

Aug 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Mike,
    The flying flock of birds on the frozen lake reveals the surreal and dream like scenery :smile:
    Nope, Just try to enjoy my addiction hobby :biggrin: Anyway sub zero without wind is tolerable

Frank,
    You could take lake shore drive and exit on Montrose, plenty of free parking and it is very close to the lake. Condensation on the lens/camera is my primary concern during winter :smile:

Vinod,
    Yep, it is around the corner :eek: meanwhile I am looking forward to autumn, my favorite season to take picture

Thanks for all your comments
    Regards,

Ben

9. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Ben,

A top notch picture, I like the composition and that "something extra" (cant quite describe it)

Very nice work (coming from Australia, I cant believe that such an expanse of water could freeze over)

10. Hi Ben -

I like this shot a bunch - fine depth of field, and the inclusion of the Chicago skyline adds interest to the scene.

So, how far up on the north shore were you when you took this?

Eric

11. FishSauce

FishSauce

Aug 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Simon,
    Thanks

Eric,
    Not too far from downtown, just a couple of miles. The downtown skyline seem quite far but it is not because I took thic picture with my wide angle lens

Ben