Winter Eagles

It's getting close to that time of year once again, when the salmon are in the rivers attempting to spawn, and the eagles are waiting for them.
Looking through some of last year's images that haven't been posting, found a few interesting ones.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Louie

Excellent Louie.

I have not ventured north, La Conner and beyond, for several years. The freeway changes and increased traffic from Auburn have turned the trip into what seems like a several day excursion. I miss the birds up there. Need to camera-up and give it a try again.

For the most part, our salmon and eagles are gone. Though I know of two places north of Denali National Park where salmon have a late spawn in January and February. I was skiing out by one of them in January, and it was dark, so we set up camp. The river was full of salmon, and large male brown bears were there feeding on them. It was one of the spookiest nights I've spent winter camping. -15°, open water, salmon, and bears.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Nice ones, I think #3 is my favorite, so much anticipation in the image for the coming landing!

Up here the Chinooks (springs) are done spawning and the Chums (Dog salmon) have peaked, so we have a lot of eagles up here right now, crappy weather though!

Nice, as always, but that water in #1 is amazing!
Thanks Nick.
Awesome set.
Appreciate your comment Alex, thanks.
Great set Louie, can't wait to see what this year brings.
Thanks Bill.
Excellent Louie.

I have not ventured north, La Conner and beyond, for several years. The freeway changes and increased traffic from Auburn have turned the trip into what seems like a several day excursion. I miss the birds up there. Need to camera-up and give it a try again.
Many thanks Ron.
They’re all beautiful, especially number 3.
Thanks very much.

Great action captures.
Thanks Allan.
For the most part, our salmon and eagles are gone. Though I know of two places north of Denali National Park where salmon have a late spawn in January and February. I was skiing out by one of them in January, and it was dark, so we set up camp. The river was full of salmon, and large male brown bears were there feeding on them. It was one of the spookiest nights I've spent winter camping. -15°, open water, salmon, and bears.
Thanks very much Steve.
Nice ones, I think #3 is my favorite, so much anticipation in the image for the coming landing!

Up here the Chinooks (springs) are done spawning and the Chums (Dog salmon) have peaked, so we have a lot of eagles up here right now, crappy weather though!
Thanks Andreas, I'm hoping that there are a lot of dead salmon still in the river in another week or so.
Nice set Louie.
Thank you Phil.
Louie - Thanks for posting; as always the images are sharp and colorful.
Appreciate your comment, thanks.
Magnificent series Louie.
Thanks Bear.
another stellar set Louie
Most appreciated Mood, thank you very much.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom