Winter Flowers???

It seems like every time the bulbs and flowers in my front planter start to bloom, the snow falls! Go figure... it sure makes for some cool shots, though. I know, these aren't macros... I am planning on getting out with my Siggy ASAP to get some closeups...

5516385991_caf8acbd07_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
[/url] DSC_6746 by Fight On!, on Flickr[/IMG]

5516386381_e852240967_b.jpg
[/url] DSC_6748 by Fight On!, on Flickr[/IMG]

5516976782_7c6a319ffd_b.jpg
[/url] DSC_6749 by Fight On!, on Flickr[/IMG]

Yeah, that first shot does make it look like they are struggling! :tongue: They did ok... the flowers died, but the plant parts lived. I'm hoping they bloom again, but I think they are a winter/cold variety...

Hard to tell without the leaf, but the blooms in 1 look like pansies, no? The can winter over in less harsh climes pretty easily and re-bloom.

OT: Snow in SC???

No, I know they are not pansies... I have plenty of those in the same planter (in the BG)... these are... shoot, the name still escapes me... I do know it!!! :biggrin: And yeah, snow in SoCal... every winter. I live at about 3200 ft. in the foothills... :wink:

Lovely Shaun. I guess snow would be even more rare in the south than in the north where I live, though elevation has much to do with it. I was shocked recently when small hail fell in my home town and collected on the ground much like the snow I grew up with in Minnesota. But it didn't last very long. Enterprising photographers will doubtless take advantage of these rare occurrences as you've done. Thanks for shocking us all!

Lovely Shaun. I guess snow would be even more rare in the south than in the north where I live, though elevation has much to do with it. I was shocked recently when small hail fell in my home town and collected on the ground much like the snow I grew up with in Minnesota. But it didn't last very long. Enterprising photographers will doubtless take advantage of these rare occurrences as you've done. Thanks for shocking us all!

Thanks for looking... yeah, I guess most of CA is a far cry from what you were used to in MN!!! :smile: They get some cooooold winters out that way! Since we moved into our house 4 years ago, it's snowed so that it's stuck on the ground every winter... last year, it lasted for almost a week!

Nice shots - great colors. I really like the red/white in #1.

Thanks! Would have made for a good Christmas shot! :smile:

Real Name
Mike
Classic Spring shots. Early Spring flowers in bloom, surrounded by snow. I would suspect that we'll experience the same situation here in the coming weeks.

Classic Spring shots. Early Spring flowers in bloom, surrounded by snow. I would suspect that we'll experience the same situation here in the coming weeks.

Since taking those shots, the weather has taken a turn for the warmer... it's been 70's/even 80's most days, and now they are really growing! I need to do some followup shots of the same blooms!

really like the red/green and white color contrast in #1. very nice

Thank you.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom