Winter is coming...

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Nikam, Sep 19, 2005.

1. I went for a drive up in the hills ealy yesterday morning and found that there was a mild frost. This is probably about 300m (1000 ft) higher than my back yard so I'm going to have to cover the tomatoes soon. Couple of pics:

View attachment 15671

2. Nice shots Dennis.

Wow, we've just had our first rains after a long dry summer. I am hoping for a good three months before I see any of that stuff.

Did you use the 500D for those shots?

3. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    There has already been snow in the mountains of Colorado. Winter is closer than we may think. Nice captures, btw. :smile:

4. Frost can wait a little bit, autumn colorful folliage is just starting here.

5. Dennis... very good photos and a nice feeling of a cold breeze I receive thru them...
    Down here, we're still at the 90-95...

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Say it ain't so Dennis!! :eek:

Still pretty warm down here in North Alabama, but the days are inevitably growing shorter, so Jack Frost can't be too far behind. Very nice shots. :wink:

7. Neat pictures of the hoar frost in your neck of the woods. They are both nice but my fovorite is the second one. It was 89 degrees here in St. George, Utah yesterday so I don't expect to see any frost for a long time, perhaps not until next year.

8. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    I too liked the second one - the green provides a nicer contrast for the frost, but both were highly evocative. Your best fans are going to be those of us who live where frost is only a memory, the rest are all concerned that it's getting too darned close. Thanks....

9. Nice images Dennis, really like the composition. Been damn near cold enough to snow here, the past two weeks excluding this past weekend has been ugly here in Alberta. Dont think there is a single month in the past 20 years that I have not atleast seen it snow in every month. LOL............go figure. got to luv Alberta

10. Steve:

Thanks Steve. Apparently there was some frost in the subdivision next to ours, but we (and our tomatoes) lucked out. I did use the 500D on the 70-200 VR @ 70mm.

Cwilt:

Thanks for the comment. We may have had some snow up in some of the higher (8000 ft) mountains north of here about a week ago, but nothing locally where the highest is about 6000ft.

Gilles:

Thanks for looking. We usually don't get much in the way of fall colors without a bit of frost. We don't have a lot of maples so most of the colors are yellow (mostly aspen and birch).

Panos:

Thanks for your kind comments. That warm Mediterranean climate where you are will be nice come January when its -20C here.

Frank:

Thanks. Do you get much cold weather down your way?

Gordon:

Thanks Gordon. I aggree the first one doesn't have as much contrast as the second one, but it did remind me those pictures you see of fiber optics. The trip was well worth while because, as well as getting a few pics, I found a bunch of shaggy mane mushrooms which are good eating. Not the greatest shot, but these are now part of our winter larder:

Patrick:

Thanks. Those that live in milder climes can think of us come January. As a Scout leader, I once camped out at -22C (about -8F) with a wind that had the flag flying straight out. I went for a 15 min. walk against the wind and it took a month for the red spots to leave my cheeks!

11. Really Frost? That sounds so nice. It was like 98 F or so today and high pressure sitting on top of us with the same for the next few days. I would be happy with a low 90 or high 80's. All eyes are on the gulf though at Rita makes her way in. This may bring some relief to us here in Texas but, I hope not TOO MUCH RELIEF. Gulf is very warm right now!

12. Thanks Keith. Isn't Edmonton one of those places where summer consists of 4 months of bad sledding :smile: :smile: I know what you mean though. About 3 or 4 years ago we were driving home from Dinosaur Provincial Park in mid-July and it was snowing in Calgary and there was a couple of inches sticking to the ground up at Canmore. You seem to have had more than your fair share of bad weather this year in Edmonton from what I've seen on the forcasts. Hopefully winter won't be too harsh.

13. Mark,

Let us hope that Rita doesn't hit anywhere where it could compound the damage already done by Katrina. In the summer, we get temperatures as high or higher than 98 F, but its a dry heat. By mid August or so the evenings start to cool off and we can get frost anytime starting in September, but lately with global warming it often holds off until October.