1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Winter is here - Upstate New York

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by asaya, Nov 29, 2018.

1. asaya

asaya Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Tony Saya
    B&W from my backyard haven't done much in B&W in the past any help is appreciated.
    _AMS2353.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Like Like x 1
  2. This looks really good, Tony. If you could get just a bit of separation between the snow on the top of the railing (center of the image) and the snow on the ground beyond it, that would make it even nicer. I'm losing that separation on my calibrated monitor.

3. asaya

asaya Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Tony Saya
    Mike not familiar with the term "Separation" do you mean cropping?

4. Tonal separation?

5. Tom is correct: tonal separation. In this example, notice that the distinction in the center of the image between the snow on the rail and the snow on the ground is nearly impossible if not impossible to detect. If the two areas have at least a slight difference in luminosity (tonal) values, the viewer will be able to detect the difference between the snow on the rail and the snow on the ground. That in turn will lead to a greater feeling of all three dimensions.

In portraiture, sometimes the photographer intentionally separates the subject from the background and sometimes intentionally eliminates separation between the subject and the background.

6. I believe Mike is referring to tonal separation. It is created by increasing/modifying the contrast between adjacent tones so that each stands out from the other. The right side of the railing is distinct (separate) from the objects immediately adjacent to it; but the top of the horizontal railing (middle of picture) blends completely in to the white snow beyond it.

7. Mike is fasting than and aging retiree :D 

8. Nick explained it better than I did. Unfortunately, he's never offered to be my editor. :LOL: 

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    Black and White photography depends on getting excellent tonal separation and the key to that is LIGHTING.
    Some early-morning sunlight (cross- or back-lighting) would enhance a snow-scene like this one.

10. Part of what I retired from was serving as an editor. I believe in separation too - - as in, working life from retired bliss!

11. asaya

asaya Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Tony Saya
    We haven't seeen sun in a month lol, thanks guys - gals, appreciate your education

12. The dreaded "lake effect" snow.

Certainly a peaceful scene.

13. asaya

asaya Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Tony Saya
    Yes Mitch pretty much November to May - upwards of 200" per year, 50 miles North of us gets over 300" off of Lake Ontario it's crazy

14. I like the peaceful mood of this image, Tony!
    I think I would crop out the dark area on the right.

15. asaya

asaya Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Tony Saya
    Thank you Bart I am looking at doing some other editing including the right side

16. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    >>> We haven't seen sun in a month >>>

Don't I know it!
    I live only about an hour south of you and we got about 8 inches in that snow storm.

Actually things are looking up: the sun did come out today!

17. Nice pic. Agree with Bart on the dark band on the right.

18. asaya

asaya Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Tony Saya
    Yes Ann weather is a funny around here we have seen so much precipatation either rain - snow but not much in the way of sunshine it is still dreary as heck here today I guess Sunday suppose to get to 50's .

19. Very nice image Tony. I agree with the others about cropping the dark part on the RHS.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.