Winter postcards...

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by JPS, Jan 2, 2006.

1. As Geneva was under a thick mist, i went up to the nearest mountain, about 20 minutes drive only, to catch some SUN !!! The light was so strong, i had to pull out my polarizing filter to enhance the contrasts, and shot a few "postcards"... These were my last images for 2005 !

Nikon D70 with Tamron SP 28-70 @ 28 mm. - 1:90 @ f/11 - ISO 200 - RAW
    54289825.DSCN1767_w.

An old castle (****stars hotel-restaurant) on top of the mountain !
    Nikon D70 with Tamron SP 28-70 @ 55 mm. - 1:250 @ f/11 - ISO 200 - RAW
    54289826.DSCN1768_w.

Nikon D70 with Tamron SP 28-70 @ 28 mm. - 1:125 @ f/11 - ISO 200 - RAW
    54289827.DSCN1772_w.

54289828.DSCN1773_w.

54289829.DSCN1774_w.

On the other side of the mountain, a view on the French Alps !
    Nikon D70 with Tamron SP 28-70 @ 28 mm. - 1:60 @ f/11 - ISO 200 - RAW
    54289830.DSCN1775_w.

Temperature up there was -13 degrees Celsius (8.6° Farenheit) at 3'000 feet, no wind... a real pleasure !

Cheers,
    J-P.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2006
  2. Wow, beautiful postcards. Thanks for sharing, J-P.

3. Hello J P

You sure did! I especially like #4 and #5.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gorgeous.. Wow

That temperature.. ouch.

(thinks some forground post distracting. Eye stops there :<()

5. Hi Gale ! I took one photograph from inside the car, showing both the dashboard (with the date, time and temperature), and the trees and snow outside, but unfortunatly i shot at 28 mm. f/11, wich wasn't enough to get everything in focus ! I didn't notice until i got back home... pity ! Next time, i'll pull the 12-24 out for this kind of shot !

As for the posts, i know they're a bit distracting, but hey, i couldn't avoid them nor pull them oput of the snow... and didn't want to clone them out either: too much fuss !

Cheers,
    J-P.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2006
  6. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    Wow, these all have a great impact, I find no 4 to be simply stunning.

7. PixelPete

PixelPete Guest

Beautiful photos JP....Love that Castle!

8. Really like the old castle and images #4 and #5.

9. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Fabulous

WOW - these are stunning shots - just beautiful.

Love the building - that is awesome.

All the best

Ray

10. great shots!!! did you use a CP or ND graduated filter on these, again nicely done!

11. Hi Keith !

Yes, i used a CP for all of them, but as my position toward the sun wasn't the same for each shot, the effect wasn't as impressive each time... Anyway, i usually don't use filter(s), but for this occasion i thought it would be worth trying :smile: !

Cheers,
    J-P.

12. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    J-P Those are lovely shots. Brings back memories of cold - those mountains all around Geneva are totally awesome, but they do bring the bise down.

13. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Nice job JP! Especially like the mood of #4 & #5. #5 would be KILLER with a slight crop top and bottom though. The long shot of the estate looks to be a bit overprocessed, a bit too much contrast. But I know you were dealing with strong winter light.

All in all though, very tasty!

(PS: JP and I know one another well from another site and always speak straight to one another about our images)

14. Hi Patrick ! Thanks for the kind words... Looks like you KNOW well Geneva !?! Using the word "bise" proves that you suffered from this nice (?) and usually cool -even in summer- northerly wind ! As for now, we haven't had too much "yet"...

If you'd like to see what STRONG bise can do on the lakesides and boats, have a look at my january 2005 gallery at: http://www.pbase.com/scherrer/s2_january_2005_ice_storm

Cheers,
    J-P.

15. Hi Mike !
    ...i knew i would have some news from you around here...

About the pics, you're right on the #5 ! ...but i'm so used of framing my shots very tight -can't/won't get used to shoot "loose" then crop :wink: -, and i mostly leave my images "full size", eg. 1.5:1 !
    The "castle" one has been processed more than the others, as it came out rather dull and underexposed about 1 to 1.5 stop: the snow is very tough to get a good balance and very easy to get "burned", while still loosing details in the shadows...

Cheers mate,
    J-P.

PS. don't you shhot anymore ? i haven't seen much from you for a while !?!

16. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    J-P
    I used to work in the white building on the lake front at Place du Lac, and had an apartment on Rue du Rhone. One of my very favourite places is Geneva. I used to make the trip by road from Geneva to Chiasso each month - now that is spectacular, especially if you go over the pass rather than through the tunnel. I have been caught in the winter bise walking across the bridge - almost frightening how cold it can get and how fast. So your pictures bring back a lot for me....

17. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    J-P
    Just looked at your album of the ice storm - WOW. I have seen cold there but never like that. Awesome and great shots.

18. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Very nice series of images. We havent really had a lot of snow thus far in NYC. That hotel looks really neat.

Thanks for posting

Regards

RFC

19. Very nice!

I would've loved the #1 and #2 a little more if the barbed wire fencing was somehow eliminated. But again, that is a personal choice - not a reflection of your work.

20. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Hehe. I shoot all the time JP. Truth be known, I don't have a functioning website at present to upload from. I suppose I could establish a pBase account and then be able to post images here. It is odd reading 'advice' from someone who doesn't post images isn't it?

I'll do something about that in the next few days. I miss your always honest observations.

Hula on!