Critique Winter Wonderland - Added

Earlier in January, there was a period of 5 days where the rime frost was spectacular. Most days were cloudy/misty but still afforded great photo opportunities. I will post a few in this thread for your critiques. Your responses are welcome.

Tree Trunk Frost.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Dan
I love it when that happens. So beautiful. In Alaska we call it hoar frost which often gets strange looks from people when you say it :D

An old broke down field tree
Tree Frost 1.jpg

Upper Mississippi River frost
River Frost.jpg

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Image in post #4 is delightful! Have you played with the image? More contrast? B&W? Leveling the horizon? See where you can take this image!

A quick play...
Tree Frost 1_KP.jpg

Image in post #4 is delightful! Have you played with the image? More contrast? B&W? Leveling the horizon? See where you can take this image!

A quick play...
View attachment 1678193
Thanks for your feedback. I did a version in b&w but the sky had such a beautiful pastel luminosity from the frozen fog I just could not make it work the way I visualized it. Leveling was a little tough as well because the rolling landscape did not give a good reference. Your take on the image is very nice though.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Thanks for your feedback. I did a version in b&w but the sky had such a beautiful pastel luminosity from the frozen fog I just could not make it work the way I visualized it. Leveling was a little tough as well because the rolling landscape did not give a good reference. Your take on the image is very nice though.
Colors in the sky were so faint I didn't even see them. Have you tried processing to bring out those colors?

Colors in the sky were so faint I didn't even see them. Have you tried processing to bring out those colors?
I enhanced a little (maybe too much) to bring out the very faint rose color through the frosted air. The scene felt blue to me so that enhanced as well.
Tree Frost 3.jpg

I really like #1 and #2. IMO #2 improved with your edit. I also like Karen's B&W treatment.
Binnur,
Thanks for your comment. I took many different photos of the #1 subject and this one stood out for the detail in the old wood. I may post others of the same subject soon.
The #2 shot was a quick compose from a very rough road and I should have spent a little more time with it from different angles. But it did come out nicely.

Dex

These are really nice.
Your last edit almost looks like an IR shot. Maybe a little too blue in the snow?- that is a judgement call.
Nicely seen.
gary
Gary,

I have played around with the WB on the this many times. I tend to like the bluish cast as it gives a feeling of the cold on that day. I warmed it up a little but still kept some blue cast in for that feeling.

Tree Frost 5.jpg

You could play with even this "simple" shot forever. I never know when to stop, and what I like changes from one day to the next sometimes.
I prefer your final edit myself. Nice image.
gary
Thanks Gary. Agreed, there are a lot of ways to interpret. Depends on one's mood I guess.

I am a sucker for lone trees - this one is fabulous.
Thanks Allan. I love tree photos especially the ones that are "non-standard".

Latest threads

Top Bottom