Wipe down camera after beach trip?

Whenever I return from fishing in the Gulf I always wash my rod and reel in fresh water. I've wondered if wiping down the camera is recommended? Do any of you nature photographers clean your gear after shooting around salt water environments? What do you on your camera bodies and lens bodies to keep them from deteriorating from the salt in the air?

I'm a landscape photographer and shoot at the ocean frequently. I have never done it, though it rains frequently around here so it gets cleaned off from that :wink:

When I get back from the beach I just fill up the sink in the bathroom of the hotel and dunk the camera in it. When I get out of the shower I take it out and let it dry. Works fine for me so far. :smile:

***??? Joking I hope?? :confused::confused:
Not really - I take a waterproof camera to the beach, not a DSLR :smile:

I'll be playing with a waterproof bag this year. Not for submerging, but for protection from spray and sand so I'll have a decent camera on the beach.

I covered my lens (70-200) & camera in a poor man's covering, the plastic bags the newspapers come in. The front element (filter) was covered in a fine spray (there were 25 mph winds that day) and so I had to clean that carefully. I also wiped down the body w/ a damp cloth just in case.

I always try to keep my camera under wraps until I want to shoot while on the beach. Then when back in the room after a nice shower I use the damp towel to wipe the camera and lens. Then I use lens cleaner on the filter. Cheers, Bill P.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks everyone for your answers. In this case a little prevention can keep Nikon Repair away.

I use a Kata protective covering It is heavy duty clear plastic and you can see all the controls/ dials easily. Mine can fit up to a 70-200 lens attached to a body w/grip very easily and has a draw string to pull around the lens. So, basically, the only thing exposed is the lens filter. After a shoot, I just take the Kata off and there is no cleaning except for the lens filter. If a Kata is too expensive (about $50) - try the OP/Tech Rain Sleeve - pkg of 2 for around $7-$8.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom