Wipe down camera after beach trip?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by C2020, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Whenever I return from fishing in the Gulf I always wash my rod and reel in fresh water. I've wondered if wiping down the camera is recommended? Do any of you nature photographers clean your gear after shooting around salt water environments? What do you on your camera bodies and lens bodies to keep them from deteriorating from the salt in the air?

2. I'm a landscape photographer and shoot at the ocean frequently. I have never done it, though it rains frequently around here so it gets cleaned off from that :wink:

3. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    When I get back from the beach I just fill up the sink in the bathroom of the hotel and dunk the camera in it. When I get out of the shower I take it out and let it dry. Works fine for me so far. :smile:

4. itsmike

itsmike

Mar 2, 2008
    Greenlawn NY

***??? Joking I hope?? :confused: :confused: 

5. Yes i wiped mine down with a damp rag. If you wear glasses at the beach, after an hour or so they will be covered in salt spray.

6. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Not really - I take a waterproof camera to the beach, not a DSLR :smile:

I'll be playing with a waterproof bag this year. Not for submerging, but for protection from spray and sand so I'll have a decent camera on the beach.

7. I covered my lens (70-200) & camera in a poor man's covering, the plastic bags the newspapers come in. The front element (filter) was covered in a fine spray (there were 25 mph winds that day) and so I had to clean that carefully. I also wiped down the body w/ a damp cloth just in case.

8. gaopa

gaopa

Jun 30, 2006
    NE Georgia
    I always try to keep my camera under wraps until I want to shoot while on the beach. Then when back in the room after a nice shower I use the damp towel to wipe the camera and lens. Then I use lens cleaner on the filter. Cheers, Bill P.

9. Thanks everyone for your answers. In this case a little prevention can keep Nikon Repair away.

10. Common sense????

11. I use a Kata protective covering It is heavy duty clear plastic and you can see all the controls/ dials easily. Mine can fit up to a 70-200 lens attached to a body w/grip very easily and has a draw string to pull around the lens. So, basically, the only thing exposed is the lens filter. After a shoot, I just take the Kata off and there is no cleaning except for the lens filter. If a Kata is too expensive (about $50) - try the OP/Tech Rain Sleeve - pkg of 2 for around $7-$8.

12. NPA2008

NPA2008

Apr 15, 2008
    USA
  13. Ya know....

I'm sure that was done to prove his point.. but the only thing that comes to mind when watching that video is...

How stupid some people really are.

:rolleyes: 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.