Wireless carplay question

I bought my first car that has Apple CarPlay - it is a factory wired system. While plugging my phone in whenever I want to use it is not that big a pain, there are times when I have left the iPhone in my pocket and I am driving. At times like this a wireless system would be better. Of course I could try to get into the habit of plugging my phone in whenever I get in my car but still ...

Amazon sells many units that supposed do this but I have a few questions which perhaps someone here can answer for me.

The pros of going wireless are readily apparent except for the additional cost which I don't mind paying. But

1 - do these units drop the connection much?
2 - does it take a significantly longer time to find the phone than a wired connection?
3 - is it a pain to leave car play if I want to switch if off while driving? right now I just pull the cable from the phone.

Any advice is appreciated along with comments by people who bought one of these units and are happy with it or else regret the purchase.
Any brands in the $120-$150 range better than others?

TIA.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I don’t have CarPlay so I cannot speak specifically to wireless connectivity for that.

If you car has BlueTooth it might be able to play music over Bluetooth. My 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee can integrate via USB or over Bluetooth. I get more info about the tracks playing via USB, but I can at least listen to music, skip songs, via Bluetooth.

Have you tried it?

Allan, my new Chevy truck has car play, but I have to plug it in, without plugging it in it automatically sycn's with the truck. However there are functions that I don't have access to when not plugged into the truck.

Back in October 2020 I was so excited when buying my new car that had Apple CarPlay.....and then was confronted with the reality that, yeah, in order to use that feature I'd need to plug in the iPhone. Ehhhh...... On a long trip, no big deal, but on short errands? Not cool! I couldn't set up a dual system in one iPhone, either, so that I'd have a choice between doing Apple CarPlay or simple BT...... I was lucky in that I already had an older second iPhone available and so pressed that one into service, so now I've got one iPhone which connects via Apple CarPlay and the other one, via BT. The latter is the one I use the most often, since a lot of my excursions in the car are just short runs on errands where I'm in-and-out of the car at various stops. It is much more convenient to be able to keep my iPhone in my purse and when I get out of the car to go into a store, I'm not accidentally leaving it in the car as a visible target for thieves, and when I get back in the car, the music starts up again when I'm driving to the next stop, the iPhone never having left my purse.

But nobody is actually answering Allan's question regarding the functionality of these aftermarket wireless Carplay dongles.

I am also curious. My son warned that the amount of data transferred vial Carplay will likely not be handled well by this device despite the $150 price tag. I countered with the fact that some high end cars are already offering wireless Carplay.

Thanks Mitch. I want to use Carplay. I guess we want to know if others have bought these gadgets and what are the pros and cons compared to wired.

Real Name
Maurie Hill
My 2015 Mercedes has a bluetooth connection that recgnises my phone immediately I turn on the ignition. It connects the telephone, and by selecting Media it plays my music on the iPhone - there’s no dropouts, it’s rock solid - but it’s bluetooth. I have a 2017 VW that works the same way, perfectly. The Dub has CarPlay which is a pain to connect, whereas the bluetooth works 100%

My 2015 Mercedes has a bluetooth connection that recgnises my phone immediately I turn on the ignition. It connects the telephone, and by selecting Media it plays my music on the iPhone - there’s no dropouts, it’s rock solid - but it’s bluetooth. I have a 2017 VW that works the same way, perfectly. The Dub has CarPlay which is a pain to connect, whereas the bluetooth works 100%
Maurie, that's great. We all have cars that connect to our phones with bluetooth. Allan is asking if anyone has any experience with an aftermarket wireless Carplay adapter so that he would not have to plug his phone into the car to enjoy Carplay.

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Carlinkit-Wi...W169/ref=dp_prsubs_2?pd_rd_i=B08GLVW169&psc=1

Why is the carplay a pain to connect? My wired carplay is not a problem. Is your carplay wired or wireless?

Why is the carplay a pain to connect? My wired carplay is not a problem. Is your carplay wired or wireless?
Ah yes, the pain of having to plug your phone into the cable!

Not really a pain, but enough of an inconvenience that we are searching for a wireless Carplay option. I suspect latency with these wireless dongles is the issue at this time. How annoying that will be would likely vary by user. They seem reliable enough when you read the reviews.

our 2919 Ford pickup recognizes our Pixel phones when we turn it on, and uses Bluetooth to play music from our Goggle music libraries. No drops, sound is good.

For those suggesting Bluetooth vs Carplay, that is a valid alternative but think of Carplay as IOS lite on your car's "infotainment" screen. It does some cool stuff and is a lot more intuitive and powerful to use than a simple Bluetooth connection. I don't have it but have seen it demonstrated.

For those suggesting Bluetooth vs Carplay, that is a valid alternative but think of Carplay as IOS lite on your car's "infotainment" screen. It does some cool stuff and is a lot more intuitive and powerful to use than a simple Bluetooth connection. I don't have it but have seen it demonstrated.
Doug, I think you're right. People who don't have Carplay simply do not realize how nice this feature really is. Selected apps are available on your large screen in your vehicle. Apple and Google maps, Waze, integration with my calendar, pandora, spotify, etc... are all there in a similar style and format you would see on your phone. When I turn on Carlplay tonight, it will automatically pull up my 5:00 meeting from my calendar and plot my course to the venue on Apple maps. Very handy. This is simply not available as a Bluetooth connection.

I can't help Allan out here, but I appreciate the thread. I have used BT in various mid-end cars happily for years, but definitely want Apple CarPlay on my next purchase, which will happen soon. I assumed it was wireless, so gad to learn otherwise. Plugging in phone is not a big deal, but I've been in a clutter-hating phase for a while now, and one less cable in my life would be appreciated.

Hopefully we'll continue to share here. I'll be doing more research as well.

Thanks all.

Yes, I really like what CarPlay can provide over what BT does but when I'm just driving a few miles down the road and making two or three stops in between at various places and running in-and-out and then am back home again in a fairly short time, it's just easier to keep my iPhone safe in my purse and let BT provide my music. On a longer journey, definitely CarPlay wins hands-down, not only because it does all the neat iOS stuff but because it also charges the phone simultaneously so that one doesn't worry about running out of juice along the way.

I may buy one from Amazon and return it if I don’t like it.
I don't have first hand experience with wireless car play as only a handful of manufacturers have it built-in to their infotainment systems but I can't see anything aftermarket being reliable at this time. The wireless protocol for carplay would be more intensive than BT is so if I was in your position, i'd save carplay for the longer trips and just do BT on the shorter ones. We just did that in our rental last month vs. constantly plugging in. I hate the hardwired solution.

I am posting this link for anyone following this thread who doesn't really know carplay. It also mentions the latency problem which Mitch first mentioned. Another concern mentioned in the article is whether a future iOS update - iOS 15 coming in a few months - will break the connection.

Article here.

It’s wireless and doesn’t play nicely with my Phone8.
Yes, that can be a pain. The reviews I have read seem to suggest wireless will work with newer iPhones and iOS. I have a 12 pro.

One thing to consider is firmware updates. The ones I am looking at allow easy updating which may be necessary when Apple updates iOS.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom