Wireless flash with the D2X

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Mitchell, Aug 12, 2005.

1. I'm still on the fence about upgrading to the D2X from my D70. Can someone explain to me how the D2X fires flashes wirelessly without having an onboard flash.

Right now I use the pop-up flash on the D70 in commander mode to fire off camera SB600. Will I require an on camera flash with the D2X to fire off camera flashes wirelessly?

If so, I guess I will need to add the $300 cost of an SB800 to the $4500 cost of the D2X!

2. Hey Mitch,
    I use the SB-800 either on camera or off with a SC-29 cable (IIRC). That flash acts as the master with subsequent flashes as slaves. Those slaves can be 800s or 600s. Third party flashes will work as well though you won't be able to control them from behind the camera with the 800.

I use my 800 as my fill light and 2 addt'l 600s as a main and background/hair light. Each is in a separate group. I can control the light output of each group from behind the camera by dialing in the values on the 800. That's the primary reason I got mine, along with the portrability factor.

You also can set the master to not fire but only instruct the slaves to fire in the event you don't want that addt'l light. I'm loving my flashes and hope to add one more 800 before too long.

3. Yes, you'll need an SB-800 to control other flashes wirelessly from the D2X. That's one of the advantages of the D70's built-in flash that you don't get with the D2X. I think there might be other solutions that cost less than the SB-800 like wireless transmitters, but there's no way to fire a remote flash from just a D2X itself.