Wireless Monitoring

Real Name
Michael
I would like to be able to shoot with my D7000 and as I shoot, see the picture come up on a laptop or netbook. Is there an economical way to do this by wireless as opposed to using a tethering cable?

look into a EyeFi card....

Or wait, does the d7000 take a sd or Cf card? If SD then an eyefi card would work. Its a standard SD card, but also a wireless card, you setup a wireless connection through your router and it sends the jpg's wireless to it.

Real Name
Michael
Thanks, Dennis. Yes, the D7000 uses SD and I have the eye-fi card for it. It works great when I'm at home and have the wireless network. I should have been clearer in my question. I'm looking to be able to do the same thing when I'm out on location and don't have a router or wireless network available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait another week or two. Eye-Fi has announced Direct mode where the Eye-fi Card will act as a router. It is supposed to be a free Firmware update for all X2 cards.

Also have you tried setting up an Ad-Hoc network on your Netbook and connecting it to that?

Real Name
Michael
Thanks for that tip, Ken. That's great news and will do exactly what I want.

I haven't tried the ad hoc network for this project. I tried setting up one with my laptop and my desktop once before and could not get it to work at all. It was something of a nightmare but it just wouldn't connect. I have to admit I'm a bit of a dummy when it comes to computer stuff so no doubt I was doing something wrong. But it was so frustrating I never tried it again. :redface:

Yes and No. It will connect Direct in Ad-Hoc Networking mode which is a pain to get set up and can take your laptop 5 or more minutes to detect the signal from the Eye-Fi card.

And as soon as the camera goes into sleep mode your connection is lost and another 5 min reconnect.

They are currently advertising the direct mode cards on their website but the firmware update is not yet available.

I am currently using a D-Link DAP-1350 travel router which I power from a USB Port on my Laptop to provide the connectivity

So you link the eye-fi through the router? Does that work well and is it somewhat secure? (You have to excuse the fact that I am not "computer networking literate")

Real Name
Michael
Won't the eye-fi pro connect directly without a router now?
I have the EyeFi Pro X2 card and I had to set it up through my router to get the pictures onto my desktop computer as I shot them. If it's capable of doing it without a router then, yes that would be great but I don't see a way to do it like that. I think the present cards are dependent on a WiFi network.

The new card is an upgrade of the Mobile X2 card that will work without a router. But...and this is a big but...if I read their announcemnt correctly it will work only with mobile devices such as iPhone, iPad or Android. Apparently it won't work that way with a laptop or netbook.

I'd have to get the new card (it's not clear to me if the firmware upgrade is also applicable to the ProX2 card) and an iPad. Hmmmmmmmmm. Looks like it will come down to how badly I want to have this capability.

Yes.
In the router you will be traveling with you set up the wireless security just like you should have Set up at home on your router there. Make sure you give your travel router a different SSID so you can tell which router you are connecting to.

You will also need to set the security up on the router preferably WPA-2 Security. Can't help you there but all routers are different.

In the Eye-Fi Setup when the Card is plugged into your laptop you set up the wireless connection with security on it. Telling the Eye-fi card which router you want it to connect to.

In General. the Eye-fi card by default uses the internet connection to send your photo's out to the eye-fi servers then back to your PC. By using the router with no internet connection It will send directly to the eye-fi software on your laptop without sending it out.

With an internet connection you can have the Eye-fi card send the photo's to flicker or most other photo sites directly. In theory the X2 Pro is supposed to be able to find any open wi-fi connection and upload them but I haven't had any success with that as of yet.

I do have it upload directly to a secure section of my website as a backup.

Real Name
Michael
Dennis and Ken- thank you both for the info. Now I have two ways to go, both of which look like they will fill the bill. The portable wireless router sounds good. And I just got off the phone with Eye-Fi and had several things clarified.

First the upgrade will involve both a firmware and a software upgrade....both will be free to current users. It will be applicable to all X2 cards (not just the MobileX2 as I had erroneously surmised). It will indeed work with any wi-fi capable laptop, netbook, notebook, desktop, etc. It will not be limited to mobile devices such as iPad and iPhone. The mobile apps simply add the feature to your phone or pad if you want it.

Being both impatient and a belt and suspenders type of person I'll probably go get the portable router and later on try the card upgrade as well.

Thank you Ken and thank you Dennis for providing a solution so clearly and quickly. I appreciate it very much.

Real Name
Michael
......I am currently using a D-Link DAP-1350 travel router which I power from a USB Port on my Laptop to provide the connectivity
Ken, I just watched a video on YouTube on how to set up the DAP-1350 and, no surprise....I'm confused. The video showed how to set up a wireless network in your hotel room. I'm trying to picture how I would set it up on my netbook so it receives the signal from the Eye-Fi card. How do you have yours connected? Also I didn't see in the video a way to power it from a USB port. The cable would obviously have a USB on one end....what kind of connector on the other end to connect to the router? Where did you buy the cable?

The USB Cable has a small round Barrell connector on the other end and the router ships with it as well as a nice case to carry it all in.

The setup would be the same as they showed in the video however you would not plug in the ethernet cable. Your laptop connects wirelessly to the router as does the eye-fi card. The only connection is the power for the router is coming from your laptop.

If you really wanted and you were shooting near your car you could power the router from your Acc Outlet in your card with one of the many adapters used to charge Cell phones or iPods.

As long as your laptop and camera can get a wireless signal you can transfer.

Did Eye-fi give you a better time frame on the availability of the update? The D-link router I mentioned was a special order product and many places will not stock it. The Eye-fi Update may come out before you could get it.

Real Name
Michael
T.......Did Eye-fi give you a better time frame on the availability of the update? The D-link router I mentioned was a special order product and many places will not stock it. The Eye-fi Update may come out before you could get it.
I should have asked them when the update will be available but didn't. Sorry.

I see the DAP-1350 currently in stock at Amazon. I get stuff from there very fast so will give that a shot.

Am I missing something? I don't understand what a wi-fi conection does for you other than eliminate a wire or removing a card and putting it in a reader. All you are doing is transfering a file. With camera control and other software you can among other things trip the shutter but you are teathered. Why would you shoot teathered if you are not using a tripod? At that point does the wire realy matter? GH

Real Name
Michael
My purpose for using a laptop or other portable computer on site is that I want to immediately view my shots on a larger screen. That's all. It's really not the file transfer function but rather the easier/more critical viewing function I'm after. I want to know right away if I got the shot the way I want it. Also, depending on where I might have to rest the computer, it might be in a position that would be difficult or inconvenient to run a wire. It's also much more difficult to move about when the camera is tethered to the computer. I'm not necessarily using a tripod when doing this. In fact more often I am not.

I already have the Eye-Fi card so I can go with the free upgrade and have no further expense. Or I can go with the portable router which not only solves my problem but has other desirable uses when traveling and which costs $77. Either is more advantageous for me over buying Camera Control, which looks like it sells for around $145 and leaves me tethered to the computer.

I agree with you, if it was only for file transfer and pp then walking over to the computer and popping the card into the reader is easy and faster.

Yeah, I like checking my shots on a larger screen in the field as well. You really can't find micro-focus problems on the camera's LCD. I'll have to look into finding a deal on a eye-fi card.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom