Wireless on D2Xs with MacBook Pro!!!

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Brandon Mizar, May 10, 2007.

1. I have a MacBook Pro and I am thinking about getting the WT-2a. Has anyone had any experience using a Mac and the WT-2a together?

I want to shoot wireless and have an assistant at the computer batching RAW files at photo shoots and have them available right there on the spot to proof.

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Interested in this too . . . . Been thinking about the same thing . . .

3. galupi20

galupi20

Jun 12, 2006
    Have iMac 24" and D2Xs & D2Hs with WT-2A. They work great. Use Infrastructure Mode with an Acces Point ( D-Link DI-524 in my case ) In Network Setup use Ethernet Incorporated. The Camera is connected to the AP wirelessly and the AP to your Mac wired. The setup will take you only five minutes. Mail me if you need help. I spent hours in order you will spend minutes. LOL

4. galupi20

galupi20

Jun 12, 2006
    Or you can use D-Link DWL-G730AP in AP mode, connecting it tho the Mac via USB as a power source. More practical with you Mac Pro
    Sorry for my Engish
    Luis

5. In infrastructure Mode the connection is easy and problem-free.
    I never managed to connect in Ad Hoc mode though.

6. I had a WT2a just long enough to test it, put back in the box, and unload it at a hideous loss. I thought I could just shoot the way I normally did and have the photos transmitted to my computer.

That is kind of like what happens but with so many trade offs that I didn't find it worth the effort. You can buy a LOT of CF cards for what you'll spend on a WT2A.

7. I don't agree. WT2a often makes life much easier. You don't really use it to save CF space but to be able to watch immediately on the computer screen what you just shot. It is very handy when shooting portraits and you need to check every shot for the perfect expression. Or macros. Or...
    And in Infrastructure mode it always works like a charm! :biggrin:

8. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    But how fast is it in practice? Even shooting tethered via a USB cable, I find the transfer of RAW files rather slow, and frustrating for real time studio use.

9. Here is what I do:
    I shoot at RAW + fine/large JPG setting. I have programmed the WT2a to keep both files in camera and transmit the JPG only. When I check the computer screen the picture is already there. I never bothered to check how many seconds it needs though... I could do it if you are interested.
    When I finish, I can download all my CF card or whichever RAWs I need, since I already know which pictures I want.

10. galupi20

galupi20

Jun 12, 2006
    It takes only 6 secons to transfer JPG Fine from D2Xs to iMac 24" in Infrastructure Mode

Luis

11. Blair

Blair

Jul 28, 2006
    Oregon
    sounds like a sweet workflow you have going.

12. I use a D200 and WT-3A and a 17" Mac Book Pro

In Ad-Hoc mode I use Nikon Camera Control software.
    When the camera connects, Camera Control opens and you have full control of the camera incuding the ability to AF and Shoot from the notebook.
    You can also adjust every shot setting inclduing: f/stop shutter speed, WB, Ex. Comp., ISO, A S M and P modes and just about everything else from the notebook
    As you shoot the photo comes up on the screen full size. File transfer of a large jpeg fine takes about 7 sec. The computer and camera stay connected constantly.

In Infrastructure mode the files transfer to a folder and have to be opened indivually using the software of your choice. Files transfer about evry two sec. once the connection is established. The camera is not connected constantly, it connects as needed. I've tried setting up a hot folder to open the files as I shoot but have been unsucessful so far.

Using the built-in antenna you can only goe about 20ft. Using the optional external antenna I've gone 150 ft and more. The stronger the signal the faster the transfer rate.