Wireless routers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pa, Jul 11, 2007.

1. My wireless router seems to have given up the ghost.

I know these things are commodities now, almost a dime a dozen, but is there anything in particular I should look for in a replacement?

Thanks for your suggestions.
  2. Personally, I have always had very good results with Linksys. I especially like their straightforward interface and administration options.

If you are moving around a lot of images, you might want to look for one that has "gigabit" speeds. You'd need gigabit network cards, of course, but it does improve file transfers. Last time I looked, there were few out there that had this features. But that may have changed.

3. Linksys. Just follow the instructions on the CD that comes with the router. I also recommend gigabit speed if possible.
  4. feilb

Jul 11, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    There aren't any "gigabit" routers over wireless, however there are some routers that are quite fast!

If you want the latest and greatest, you can look for one of the "Draft N" routers and wireless cards. This will require you buying a new wireless card. The transfer standard is still in development, and if i was you, i wouldn't buy one for that reason.

I use a regular Netgear 802.11G router (54Mbps) which isnt too shabby. It will utilize the full power of the fastest internet available. If you need extra speed, almost every company offers a speed boosted version of the "G" standard that will go up to 125Mbps. These also require matched routers and cards but do legitimately offer speed benefits.

If i could make a recommendation, it would be to go with the regular 802.11G routers and cards which are well supported and standardized and fast enough for pretty much anything you are likely to do!

PS: any routers that talk about gigabit are talking about the speed of the wired ports on the device!
  5. DDeFendi

DDeFendi Guest

Wireless Gigabit Router

Here's one from Linksys...

Wireless-N Gigabit Security Router with VPN Secure, high-speed wireless networking... Model WRVS4400N

I'm pretty sure they have three Wireless Routers with gigabit capabilities..
  6. genehsu

Apr 15, 2007
    "gigabit" refers to the speed of the wired part of the router. The wireless part depends on either 802.11A (really old standard), 802.11B (old standard), 802.11G (current standard), or 802.11 draft N (new almost standard), where draft N is the fastest but may not be supported by everything. G is supported by just about every wireless card nowadays.
  7. Folks, your router is only as fast as your slowest connection or slowest PC. Unless you are transferring huge files between PC's on the same home network, there is no need for gigabit speed. Most people only use the network connection to connect to DSL or cable and the internet, where the speed is typically 10 megabits or less and in most cases far less. Faster speed on your home network buys you nothing extra.

My router does 54Mbps on the wireless side and 100Mbps on the Ethernet side. My cable connection is 6Mbps down and 2 Mbps up. The faster router speed doesnt make the internet go faster and the size of the files I transfer between my 4 PC's wouldnt go more than a couple seconds faster with a faster local network.

Certainly go for faster speeds if it comes as at the same price as the slower routers, but don't spend extra for speed you cannot use.
  8. Exactly right!! I keep all my image files (and a lot of other stuff) on a server and therefore there are times that the extra bandwidth on the wired connections might be nice. But, other than that ... it's the size of the incoming pipe that makes the difference when it comes to the 'net!!

9. I've got two Linksys wireless routers and they've both been bulletproof. I've never found a need for their software - I just set up the router manually (security, etc) and let it rip. When I have to do massive file transfers I skip the wireless and plug directly into the router, but that's only between one of my laptops and one of my desktops so it isn't a big inconvenience.
  10. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I guess I should be more specific in my requirements. An extremely fast wireless connection is not that important to me. Probably 95-98% of my internet use is through the wired connections to my desktop PCs. I do have a wireless-equipped laptop, and use it at home occasionally, but if I have a lot of file transfers to do from laptop to desktop, I just plug the the laptop up to the router through its ethernet port.

Reliability is probably my most important criterion.

11. On that note - again, I have two WRT54G Linksys routers. One has been sitting in a cabinet as my main router at home for years, wired to my vonage box and main desktop, and linking another desktop wirelessly. It also serves as a wireless access point for my two laptops when I use them in the house.

My other one is in an airplane hangar acting as another wireless access point for laptops, and is plugged into another desktop that I can remote into. It also has been on 24/7 for years. In the winter months the room its in isn't heated, and in the summer the A/C just keeps it from getting blistering hot - it still running strong though!
  12. Well, my router suddenly decided to work again.

This has happened the last two times that I have been away for a few days and killed the power to the cable modem and router. When I restored power, the router failed to start, but both times, the next day it came back on.

Go figure.
  13. general

Apr 30, 2005

My old router became intermittent so I went shopping for a new one. I do tend to buy Linksys since they have always given me good service. I did buy one of the N wireless routers, the WRT 300N and an adapter for my laptop, the WUSB 300N. Simple to set up although you need to download a new driver for the adapter if you are running Vista (I am). I am quite satisfied with the new arrangement.
  14. Stay away from Linksys WRT54G, get at least the GL.

I running the DD-wrt aftermarket software on my GL version, HUGE performance improvement. http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/index.php

They principally recommend the buffalo routers. I've considering adding a buffalo router to my mix, and using the wrt54GL as the hard wired router, and internet interface, using the buffalo as the wireless.
  15. Hi Jim -

Sounds like you need to bring in either an Engineer or Computer Tech guru from VT - LOL.

Our Linksys router exhibited the same sporadic behavior after about 2.5 years. We replaced it and haven't had problems since, although we also switched from cable internet service (Cox) to DSL (ATT) at almost the same time, so the data point isn't quite valid.

16. general

Apr 30, 2005
    For PA

That is exactly the way my router went, first sporadic, then network but no internet, then nothing. Suggest you be prepared to shop for a new one. I still suggest Linksys.
  17. 802.11A is not an "old" standard; it's only marginally older than 802.11G and much newer than 802.11B. It has a unique frequency band (5.8GHz) vs. 2.4 GHz B/G/N , so A equipment isn't compatible with B/G/N equipment. (...unless you buy a dual radio device, but that's a subject for another day.)