Wireless security...

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Czechman01, Mar 25, 2007.

1. I'm sitting here watching my modem and wireless router blinking like crazy and I assume it's because someone is using my connection to access the Internet... right?

How do I prevent this from happening? I looked in the AirPort Help and the System Preferences and can't seem to find a simple solution or any mention of how to keep people from simply hijacking my connection.

2. Do you have WEP or other encryption enabled?

3. No I don't. I did notice that in the AirPort settings.

4. Bill Gates

Bill Gates

Oct 26, 2006
    Toronto, ON

Two things you should do:

1) Enable WEP or WPA, preferably WPA.

2) Enable MAC filtering and insert your 12digit alpha numeric MAC address in that table. each router is different, but this should be in your manual.

You check your wireless status connections from access your router via browser. this will tell you how many IP's your router has assigned, any connection made to your router must be assigned an IP address. if you notice that only one IP address has been assigned, its probably yours. you can verify that by dropping to a DOS window (Start->Run->cmd) and type ipconfig from the command line. assuming you are running Windows XP.

Hope that helps.

5. This is an Apple forum... I'm not on a Windows machine, that's why I posted here... Bill. :rolleyes:

6. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    I can help if you need it. The 2 suggestions above would be the best thing to do.

7. Woody, hopefully you have your wireless router password protected. If not be sure you do that. That in itself should take care of most any intrusion to your network. You can also disable the wireless ssid broadcast (wireless network name). At least then folks in the neighborhood or folks just riding around can't see the active network.

8. All the suggestions so far make no sense to me. I'm just about as computer illiterate as they come... that's why I bought a Mac. Everything else there's simple step by step instructions on what buttons to push and what levers to pull and the it just works.

Sounds to me that some of this stuff has to be done to the router and I assume you do that through the console?

In the Airport Options pane of Sharing there is an option to "Enable encryption (using WEP)" with fields to enter and confirm a password. I assume that somehow the Router has to know your password too and that's where I get lost.

In my ideal world I only want my computers to use my wireless and the logical way to do that would be to have to "log on" to the router using a password.

Isn't there a simple, logical way to accomplish this?

9. Woody you found it! Enable wep and enter a password that the router will accept. You should then be in business.

10. So all I have to do is pick any password, type it in and the router will suddenly only accept connections that enter that password?

What do you mean by "a password that the router will accept"? Is there some password protocol that I have to follow... like no special characters or something like that?

11. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    What brand/model is your router?

12. I am not familiar with the Airport router but the password may be limited in length and also may be limited too only numbers.
    Try something 5 or 7 characters or numbers and see. It will let you know if what you try is accepted.
    BTW my linksys will not accept special characters.

13. Woody just went back and checked my linksys router and it requires 10 digits and or characters. Yours may be the same.

14. I'm using a Lynksys too.

So, just so I have this straight...

1. Go into the Sharing Control Panel and get to the Airport Options pane.
    2. Type a random combination of any 10 letters and numbers into the Password field.
    3. Type the same password into the Confirm Password field.
    4. Click Okay

And that's it?

Then, when I fire up my laptop I just do the same thing. Enter the same password in the laptop, click okay and then those two computers only (or any other computer using the same password) can access my router.

Right?

15. Woody pm sent.... call me!

16. Woody, I miss read the original post, I thought you might have an Apple Airport Extreme router.
    The linksys is relatively simple, go to ip address http://192.168.1.1/
    to access your linksys router setup. You will need to make the wireless security settings to the router itself.
    I am about to turn in for tonight but if I can be of any help setting up the router security let me know tommorow. I can give you a call to help set it up if you like.

17. Thanks Darrell, it looks like I turned in before you. I found out the activity was from me leaving my laptop on with iTunes radio running. My closest neighbors are about 300 feet from my router and I thought that was beyond the range.

Regardless, I still want to do this so I'll be in touch. I'll PM you and set up a time that's convenient.

BTW, that link needs a password.

18. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    enable security then only allow the Mac addresses you want onto the network block all others

19. The Linksys router is most likely set for the password default of admin + Admin
    unless someone previously changed.
    That is a password that needs changing as well.

20. Darrell,

Thank you for all of your help. Things around here are very hectic at the moment but I'll definitely be in touch to take you up on your offer.

To everyone else, I sincerely appreciate the time you've taken to respond but I think I've got this covered now.