1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Wireless transfer: anyone used the Nikon WU-1B Wireless Mobile Adapter?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by liberatortoo, Jan 17, 2018.

1. liberatortoo

liberatortoo

Dec 6, 2010
    uk
    I want to shoot 'tethered' in the studio but using wireless with an android tablet OS 7/8.

I have a D600 so compatibility not an issue. Has anyone used the WU-1B Wireless Mobile Adapter? Is it any good? Is it reliable? Is it fast? What's the software like?

Also, if anyone has any other wireless solutions, please recommend them.

Thanks in advance for help

2. You'll get more informative responses if you explain the kind of photography you will do in your studio. As an example, I do tabletop photography, so speed of transfer is not important. My guess is that speed is far more important when doing portrait photography, especially if the client is watching the photos being displayed on your tablet as shooting is taking place.

I use CamFi with a Windows computer. CamFi is a competitor of CamRanger and is considerably less expensive. I don't know whether either one will work with your tablet but I would be surprised if both don't.

3. 480sparky

480sparky

May 27, 2013
    Cornpatch
    The WU unit does not have any software..... that's dependent on your smart device or computer. Downloading is exceedingly slow compared to hard-wired tethering. And that's for when you'd be shooting JPEGs. Don't bother with it if you are shooting fast in raw. It'll take forever and a day to transfer .NEFs.

I use both the WU-1A and WU-1B to use my D7100 and D600s. But mostly with the DSLR Dashboard app on my phone when I need to remotely view, adjust and fire the camera.

4. liberatortoo

liberatortoo

Dec 6, 2010
    uk
    Thanks. I'll be shooting portraits in the studio

5. My experience with CamFi is that its transfer rate may not be fast enough for practical use shooting portraits unless you configure it to output small JPEG files, which will transfer more rapidly. The website has a video demonstrating the speed in a portraiture photo session, so take a look at it and decide for yourself. However, the upcoming CamFi Pro, which will be much faster, will probably be well worth considering and might be worth waiting for unless you have a pressing, immediate need.

One thing to consider is that I've never experienced a company that provides better customer service. I bought the CamFi when it was relatively new and I had a few issues. When sending emails, I always received a response within 24 hours and often within an hour. The response always came from Mark, the CEO and inventor (though I didn't know his roles at the time). He was always very eager to learn the details of my issues and firmware updates were always soon forthcoming that corrected them. He also made a couple changes at his website at my suggestion to benefit customers. The one time I had a disabling issue, he reviewed the results of the tests I conducted and immediately concluded that my particular product had a manufacturing defect. He immediately arranged delivery of a replacement product through a distributor in New York at his own volition because delivering from China would take longer. If CamFi ever makes another product that fits my needs, I won't hesitate to buy it.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.