Wireless Trigger

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by cali-kid, Jul 9, 2007.

1. cali-kid

cali-kid

May 26, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Hello everyone, this is my first time posting in this forum. Forgive me up front if this is an old question.

Is there a small unit (for nikon cameras (D80) that slip into the hot shoe that can wirelessly trigger SB flash units of up to 20-25 feet away? I ran into a canon shooter here in Puerto Rico (I am on vacation) and he had such a unit that worked on my camera's (hot shoe) that triggered his canon flash unit.

2. Dayo

Dayo

May 1, 2006
    Bahrain
  3. cali-kid

cali-kid

May 26, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Thanks for the info. I've been on vac for only one week with one to go....

4. If you're talking about SB600 or SB800 flash units, you can actually trigger them 20-25 feet away with the internal flash on your d80, if you put it in Commander mode. In fact, you can do more than trigger the remotes... you can control them in TTL mode!!! The other Nikon solution is the su800, which is a small unit that fits into the hotshoe on your camera and controls remotes through infrared signals. It can give you 60-90 feet of range. Then there are generic solutions, such as the pocket wizards and ebay units that Dayo referenced. Here's a thread where we beat all of those options to death.

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=120911

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  5. Dayo

Dayo

May 1, 2006
    Bahrain
    Missed that thread Frank...nice read.

Must have been the Ebay unit to be small and to have fired his friend's Canon flash.

6. cali-kid

cali-kid

May 26, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Thanks I had no idea that the SU-800 existed.