Wireless Triggers

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by Sam O, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Sam O

Sam O

Jul 24, 2007
    Toronto
    Anyone here use or know someone who has used the AlienBee CycberSync or the Radio Poppers? opinions? Trying to decide between these or the old standard Pocket Wizards.

Played with the CLS this wekend during a Wedding reception and CLS sucks for anything but fairly static positons.

2. If you don't find cls useful, there is no advantage to the radiopoppers. They allow cls function over a wider area, and you are no longer limited to line of sight. They do not, however, change how cls works. I actually find cls to be useful when things are moving quickly, and thus use the poppers. I use manual the rest of the time. The radiopoppers do allow us to change power remotely as well, but I don't find that all that useful- I usually guess and make the rest of the adjustments in camera- can't change old habits.
    I have found the poppers to be reliable, and have enough coverage for any of my shoots. They "seem" fragile- the optical cable looks a little cumbersome on the flash, the antenna looks like it is about to fall off at any time, and the popper is only held on by velcro. It doesn't fit well on the su800, it looks like it is about to fall off at any minute. With all that said, they have worked fined for the last several weeks, and have put up with everything- including a little rain- I have thrown at them.
    Gary

3. Sam O

Sam O

Jul 24, 2007
    Toronto
    I think you're mixing up CLS with TTL.

4. isayx3

isayx3

Apr 12, 2008
    Corona, Ca
    I'm in the same boat. I need to graduate to something with better range than the GI cactus v2s. For me I think its between the Cybersync or the Skyports. Any thoughts on the skyports?

5. Oops.
    When you said cls was only useful in static positions, I assumed you also meant the tll control.
    CLS can be limiting- as you have pointed out. As long as I remember they need to be in line of sight I have had little problem with cls indoors. Outdoors in bright sunlight is a whole other story!
    If you want wireless ttl control your only choices right now are either cls or the radiopoppers.
    If you don't need ttl control, or the ability to remotely adjust flash power any of the other systems will work. Of coarse, PW's are the industry standard.
    I am looking at the CyberSyn's as we speak- would also like to get others input on their stability.
    Gary