Wish me luck, folks!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Uncle Frank, Mar 8, 2005.

1. I just made an offer to a private party on a mint condition, one-owner Nikon 28-70 f/2.8. I made him a fair
    offer, which was probably stupid of me :?. If he accepts, I'll be listing my Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8
    on the "for sale" forum.

I really lust for this lens. It's big, heavy, and built like a tank... a perfect complement to my 80-200 f/2.8.
    If I get it, all I'll need is a 300/4 to complete my dream kit.

2. You'll like it - its a nice lens. I use these 3 lenses most:

12-24mm f/4
    28-70mm f/2.8
    70-200mm f/2.8 VR

To really complete my kit I want to get the 200-400mm f/4 VR and eventually the 500mm f/4

I also have:
    10.5mm fish (lotsa fun here)
    50mm f/1.8 (no brainer for its value)
    105mm f/2.8 macro (will sell and get the 200mm f/4 macro)

3. Cool. Do you have any pictures at full aperture and full zoom that show the quality of its bokeh?

You dream bigger than me.

4. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Frank :

What did you offer on the lens ? I just saw one yesterday, so I'm curious what a "fair" price is...

John P.

5. I will go out tomorrow and shoot something to maximize the bokeh and post it if I get some time.

6. I wish you all the luck, Frank :!:

I, too, would like to have this lens next to the 17-35 f/2.8 and the 80-200 f/2.8

7. Good luck on your lens purchase Frank. By the way I like your new Avatar. I don't know why but with your Uncle Frank name I had a picture in my mind of an older man. Nice to see you come out of the closet. 8) :lol:

8. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    It's also a lens that I would like to own, but the 12-24mm is next on my hit list. Hope it goes your way for the lens.

9. The lens sells for $1329 new, after rebate. There were two recent sales on eBay... one at $810 and the other at $995. Currently, there are 3 units up for sale on eBay.

I'll know my price was fair if the seller accepts my offer.

10. Thanks, Panos. Yes, the 28-70 would round out your kit nicely.

11. I am older, darnit :evil: .

12. Yes but there is older and then there is older. It all depends on your perspective. :roll:

13. Good luck on your quest but this will only temporaily relieveyour lens lust disease it never goes away completely.

After shooting the 200-400 at Merritt I think of it often

14. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    The one I saw yesterday would go for $900 - 950, I think. Looked like it was in very good shape. I regretfully decided against it, because I've been lusting after the 85mm f/1.4, which I've ordered today from B&H to use next week.

Let me know if you don't have any luck, and I'll post the location of the lens for you to call after.

John P.

15. OK, how about PMing me the info, John. The seller just notified me that he put the lens up for sale on eBay last night, and invited me to bid on it.

I'm a little put out by his behavior. He's a DPR member who read about my interest in the 28-70 on the slr lens forum, and emailed me, soliciting an offer. That was at 10:15PM EST (he's from Florida), and I responded within a few hours. Maybe he didn't think my offer was good enough ($850), but ethically, I think he should have given me a counter offer before he listed the lens on eBay. Claiming he listed it last night doesn't make any sense at all, unless he was just trying to jerk me around.

I've decided not to invite him to the Cafe. That'll teach him :twisted:

16. Watch the bidding close and in the last 30 sec. put in a bid of $800 if it hasn't reached that point. It you get it the lesson will have been taught. :twisted:

17. My cousin has that lens. It is big, heavy, but a sweet lens. Then the 300 f4, but dont hold the 200-400 f4 cause you'll be in even bigger trouble. :lol:

18. I've held it. Fortunately, it was so heavy that I lost my lust :lol:.

Hey, question. Have you tried your 300/4 on the d100? After seeing your baseball pictures with the 70-300, I'm
    wondering if your improvements aren't more related to the new camera (d2h) than the new lens. How quickly
    does the 300/4 focus on the d100?

19. I used the 70-300 on the D100 last year. It does focus faster on the d2h and shooting faster :lol: no competition, the D2h is a beast, and you cant compare other cameras to it.