1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Wish me luck! Lots of shooting fun! First photo added

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by leahp26, Aug 23, 2008.

1. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    First off - I missed you guys! I have been working like crazy with no time to pop over to the cafe! Plus my internet is down at home, comcast are telling me that my Mac Airport is messing up but I'm not convinced.

And I am now in Chicago for 6 days (more work) we have a big international sales rep training here at the OLC.

Anyways, there are about 150 plus sales reps from around the world here and they'll be working in the lab for three days (which usually means lots of setup/cleanup/hard work for us head office people) so I came up with a great idea - I would volunteer to photograph the training. So once all the lectures are over (meeting started at 6:30am today - on a Saturday - ugh!) I get to spend 3 days snapping informal candids of my colleagues Mon-Wed.

The plan is to print them overnight (probably going to use mpix unless someone knows of a great lab in Chicago) and then each attendee will get a nice framed 5x7 (was trying to figure out if I could set the camera ratio but I think I'll have to do so in PP) as a souvenir to take home with them.

There's no pressure - if I mess up the shots no big deal as the photos are really a bonus - but I am so excited at the thought of 3 days of snapping away.

I think it will be a little challenging - the location will be a lab with artificial lighting and everyone will be wearing blue scrubs - so I'm going to experiment with white balance and flash.

Sorry for all the rambling..... :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2008
  2. Sounds great! have a fun time, getting paid and having fun with your hobby too!

3. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Thanks Cheryle.
    Not getting paid (and wouldn't expect to be) but major fun!

4. okcandids

okcandids

Jan 12, 2008
    Southern NH
    Sounds exciting and challenging at the same time. Best of luck! Not sure if it is "worth it" to you, but you can always look for a nearby camera shop and pick up a cheap lightstand (or super-cheap tripod [?]) just to hold your SB-800 off camera and trigger it via CLS.

5. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Thanks Oren - wanted to keep it as simple as possible and the lab is pretty bright (I probably should have done something different with my white balance...but that's another story) so I just went with the 85 1.4 to get as much light as possible. We have a big dinner tonight and I may go crazy and bring my SB800 and try some crazy handholding but probably depends on how many glasses of wine I have!

Just got back from the first lab and downloaded a bunch of shots. Have to be back in 5 mins so here are the first two pretty much out of the camera - we'll hopefully print them overnight and they get small 5x7 framed copies to take home

p681802048-4.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 242408

Back to it for me now, another 60 or people to snap! WAY better than lab set up/clean up!!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2008
  6. j13jjs

j13jjs

Aug 4, 2008
    Atlanta
    Looks like fun, enjoy it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.