Wish me luck...

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Jonathan F/2, May 25, 2005.

1. My D2H is in the shop to adjust my focusing, so I'm using my D70 with an SB-80DX. As you all know, the D70 won't do iTTL so I'm going to shoot all manual mode! yikes, I'm doing it old school so hopefully things work out. Any tips from you manual flash shooters?

EDIT - Oops, I meant to say dTTL!

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Jonathan, does a D70 do 'DTTL'? I use that mode with my D100 and a SB-50DX. It's a bit under-powered, but as long as I don't go messing with the compensation (flash OR exposure) and mind the f-stop somewhat, it usually gets the exposure right. Sometimes it does perfect.

I like the flash to look brite, so I often do near/far stuff with matrix metering and it keeps everything in (or at least I think so.)

With manual, be much more attentive to the f-stop and the distance. You know, like in the old days. Well, maybe you don't. :) Have fun.

3. Of course it will. All you have to do is use an sb600 or sb800 on it.

4. Actually, the D70 won't do DTTL and the SB-80DX won't do iTTL, so their common denominator is manual or aperture mode on the camera and AA on the flash (which measures the light and the exposure through its own sensor). You have to make sure that the aperture dialed in the camera matches the one dialed in on the flash, unless you want to apply compensation (without dialing flash compensation per se).

If you have the camera set up with 1 stop of aperture closed down from what the flash is set to, you will effectively under-expose (or negatively compensate the flash exposure) by 1 stop. That is because less light than what the flash assumed (and set the exposure for) will actually enter the camera. Conversely, if you open the aperture on the camera 1 stop higher than dialed in on the flash (say f/4 on the camera and f/5.6 on the flash), you will in effect create positive flash compensation...

At any rate, the shutter speed controls the exposure of the background, the aperture is what controls the amount of light on the subject, and the difference of aperture between camera and flash controls the flash compensation. 8) ;-)

5. Philippe, that's a very impressive summary on how to use a non-ttl flash. Well done!