Wish there were several FUNC buttons!

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by David Fink, May 23, 2005.

1. Wouldn't it be lovely if the D2x had two or three FUNC buttons, instead of the one?

I have mine set to toggle HSC on/off, which is very useful.

If I had a second button I'd no doubt use it to implement spot metering when necessary.

What are other folks using the FUNC button for?

Best wishes,

David

2. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    I posted a reply say just that on DPR. It would be great to replace the one button with a 3-way rocker switch.

If I had a 3-way rocker it would be;
    up - FV lock or flash off (depending on what the needs at the time)
    center - HSC
    down - spot meter

3. I use FV lock a lot. I wish I could assign FV lock to the AE-L/AF-L lock button as you can on the D70. I never use that button for its intended purpose anyway.

4. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I'm surprised that you can't. How is FV-Lock activated on the D2X?

5. The only method I know of is to set the func button to that.

I have searched the manual and found nothing else on it.

6. Hi Beezle,

Could you please describe a typical situation in which you find FV-Lock to be helpful? I understand generally how it works, but am curious in what ways you use it.

Best wishes,

David

7. I use it whenever I take flash shots with the flash mounted on the camera (which isn't as often as using off camera flashes, in which case I do everything manually anyway).

I find the preflash causes blinky eyes too often. I must have a few hundred photographs of my children with their eyes half closed.

So eventually I decided to use FV lock instead. I fire that once, which locks in the exposure, then shoot away. This is of course not practical in light that changes or a scene that requires various exposures.

Another reason I use it is I will sometimes use SU4 fired flashes. The preflash only confuses them, so FV lock is handy for ensuring that only a single flash is emitted when you release the shutter.

8. Actually, it occured to me that it would be really useful if you could hold the FUNC button and rotate the sub-command dial to choose Custom Settings Banks A - D. That way, you could have a different FUNC button setting in each Bank, and it would be very easy to go back and forth between them. As it is, you must go into the Menu system to either select a new Custom Settings Bank or assign a new FUNC button function.

Make sense?

Best wishes,

David

9. Ruffles

Ruffles

May 5, 2005
    Rexburg, ID
    Great idea David. Something like that would be very easy to implement in a firmware update. Nikon, are you listening???

10. Hi Ruffles,

Yes....a firmware update was exactly what I was thinking about.

Being able to cycle through banks with the sub-command dial sure would make it easier to utilize the flexibility of having different Custom Settings banks. Presently, having to go into the menu system to switch banks sort of defeats the flexibility.

Best wishes,

David