Wisla Polish Folk Dancers 07

Discussion in 'People' started by Steve S, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Was asked to donate my photographic services and shoot the Wisla Polish Folk Dancers' performance again this yr at the Follinger outdoor theater, notorious for it's uneven, poor lighting. I shot them 2 yrs ago with not too many keepers to show for it. Learning from my mistakes, I did things different this time, namely, shooting from a further, higher viewpoint at the back of the seating, approx 100 ft away, on tripod this time, shooting full manual, and keeping my 70-200VR (vr off) lens wide open at f2.8 almost the entire time. Most of the shots were done @ISO 800, and some at ISO 1000. Could've used more length, but needed to stay @f2.8, so using a TC was out of the question. Here are the few I've edited so far. Isolation and cropping is always a great challenge when there are often 15-20 dancers on stage at once. EXIF retained. They tell all their friends and family in Poland about their pics on my pbase page, and the hits I've had have been overwhelming. Hope you enjoy!

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

The unsung heros, the band:
    original.

This 155mm panorama was stitched together using the new tool in CS3:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2007
  2. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Jees, I never thought I'd see the day when one of my pic post went without a single reply, but I guess I was wrong. They must be pretty awful. No one wants to C&C these?

3. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Sorry Steve, I had missed them somehow. Looks like you did a great job. Shots are really sharp and the color good for those conditions. I remember when you shot these dancers before. That's where you got your Avatar wasn't it?

I tried to shoot a Ballet once and tried is the key word.:frown:

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Rex,

These Polish Folk Dancers are telling all their frineds back in Poland to go to my pbase page, and check them out, so I better get on the stick and get the rest of them processed! and yes, my avatar is from the pool party they had for them 2 yrs ago.

5. Looks like you fared pretty well considering the conditions Steve.

Did you use any noise reduction programs/process?

Here lately threads rool off of the first page pretty quickly causing some to slip through the cracks. They eventually get noticed though.

6. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Thanks for sharing Steve. By the way, if you're interested in Polish Folk dancers, I recommend seeing Mazowsze (they are touring the States this year). Here is the link to the website http://www.2luck.com/pages.php?menuid=40 (at the bottom of the page click on the "Tour 2007" link).

7. Sorry Steve. I've been quite busy in past few days and didn't visit the photo galleries. This is a beautiful series, the light and colors captured are what we expected to see on stage, and the actions were well captured. The mics were in the way in some images, but that's not your fault.

8. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks for looking Roy. Yes, I applied a small amt of NR (3 setting) in NC4 to most, if not all of these shots.

9. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Mark, but personally, I'm not all that interested in the genre. I did this as a favor to the president of the Polish club, who's son I'm friends with.

10. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Those mikes were a real problem, and I cropped them out whenever possible. This is a very low budget program, so no wireless mikes!

11. Steve, these are excellent. The WB is right on and the focus is super. Well done, I'll bet they are pleased with the results.

12. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thaks Gordon! they've already hit my pbase page 1300 times in 2 wks!

13. WOW! I think you did a beautiful job! I can almost hear the music! Nice going! AND CONGRATULATIONS!

14. Some comments...

First, very nicely done. I can only guess how bad the lighting is and I think you did admirably given the circumstances. :smile:

Second, too bad those mikes are in the way. Some of these would have been excellent without them. :frown:

Lastly, why does everyone get so bent out of shape when a thread is missed. I have never understood this. Some things just get missed and as someone who reads through every topic heading on this site, I can also say that I truly never saw this thread. I understand bumping the thread because you are truly wanting some C&C, but the comment "They must be really awful" makes no sense to me. And, then, other posters apologize for missing it! My avatar was posted in a thread that also got virtually ignored... other than Gordon (thanks Gordon!). Sure, I would have liked to have seen some more comments, but I think my nephew is way too cute for it to have been caused by the picture being awful! :eek: Alright, my rant is over. Sorry Steve, didn't mean to use your thread for this rant, it has always bugged me. I guess, since I respect your work and believe you have gotten tons of feedback in the past, your post was the "straw" and you got to hear about it. :wink:

15. Excellent work Steve!!! I love the "jump" shots. Great colors, great job.

16. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    The reason I bumped the thread was because I put 3 hrs of hard work standing for the shoot alone, then more hrs in the editing room, and did/do want some feedback. The comment about "they must be awful" was made tongue-in-cheek, I know they're not awful... not the greatest ever, but certainly not awful. Prolly should'a used a smiley to convey that. As for those apologizing for missing it, well, that wasn't at all necessary. I'm just glad someone is finally seeing and commenting on them. fwiw, it did have 50 some views w/o comment before I resurrected it. As for me missing you avatar pic, "I'm sorry"! :biggrin: He's cute and that's a cute grab of him making that silly face.

17. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Keith. Those dancers are very athletic, esp the guys that do all that flying and jumping around. The guy that jumps over the hat he's holding in both hands, then jumps back again is phenominal! Don't believe me, you try it sometime! :tongue:

18. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Steve :

Interesting shots under tough conditions. Looks like you were able to land some photos where most people just couldn't have done so.

Sorry that I didn't comment earlier, but I tend to look at certain fora/sections every few days, and not every day.

John P.

19. Fair enough... though I believe some of the others I have read were not made in jest. People seem genuinely irritated and offended.

Okay, well that shows that it wasn't missed entirely... just by those who normally comment... or matter. :wink:

:eek::biggrin::biggrin: LOL!! I'm also sorry... for bringing this rant up in the first place! :biggrin:

20. JMartin

JMartin Guest

I think you captured the moment well. I really like them.

(Logged in under Hubby's account):wink: