Witch Doctor Supply Stores in Mali & Morocco (A Bit Gross!)

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by bobhoge, Oct 7, 2005.

1. While touring markets in Africa, we saw a couple of places selling what I can only call Witch Doctor Supply Stores, or maybe Really Alternative Medicine :Unsure:

Here are a couple of shots in Bamako, Mali. This stuff was spread out on a blanket in the parking lot of a big market:
    The long things in the light brown quiver are porcupine quills, and yes those are monkey (I hope :eek: ) heads and hands, and who knows what else!
    38150499-L.

38150458-L-1.

And here is another blanket full of stuff, this time in the Place Jamaa El Fna market in Marrakech, Morocco. Note the model body parts to indicate what heals which pains! (The way our retiree health coverage is going, maybe we should have made some notes here :cool: .)
    39076263-L.

Hope this did not turn anyones stomach,
    Bob & Nan

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    The third vendor has better marketing skills than the first. :)

Very interesting Bob. I have so enjoyed your posts from your vacation.

My best to you and Nan.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Did ya bring us some of that good stuff... :>))

We may need it..
    Nice images and story.

thank you

4. Hi Patrick,

I agree.

It was not just this vendor, Mali was really third (or maybe 30th) world, while Morocco was fairly modern, at least by comparison. In Mali if you were sick it seemed they wanted to wave a monkey head over you, but in Morocco they had some powders and if you could tell them where it hurt, they would tell you which one to take. At least it was semi-scientific there. Neither is a good place to get sick!

Mali has a per capita income of about $700 per person per year while in Morocco it is $4,200 per person per year. You can see the difference quickly.
    Bob & Nan

5. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    That looks like the health food store my wife frequents.
    You brought back some "good stuff" Bob -- thanks for sharing it with us (and keep it coming).

6. It's always interesting to sample different cultures. We live in such a 'sterile' world that we view anything else as wrong/bad, etc. If a boiled monkey head tea cd cure my aches and pains some mornings, I'm game!! LOL Great pics of practices in far off lands!