1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

With news of D300s, any possibility of upgraded firmware on D90?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by NikonUserDenver, Jul 30, 2009.

1. This is regarding the new autofocus in video mode that the D300s has.

I'm hoping a future firmware update for the D90 will enable this feature on the D90.

Or is it more complicated than that?

2. e_No

e_No

May 16, 2009
    Downey, CA
    Provided all the hardware is in place, and I believe it is, I think it should be doable. It's not a big enough feature to hurt D300s sales if the D90 is updated, so I think we might be seeing that soon. Or at least we can hope...

3. TANG0F0XTR0T

TANG0F0XTR0T

Jun 4, 2008
    UK
    I hope they do update the D90 with this because I'm thinking of one myself. :cool: 

4. Autofocus control in video mode and focus+release priority in AF-C would be a great improvement to the D90.

-Fred

5. luke_28

luke_28

May 12, 2008
    North
    Auto focus in video mode would be great, but I dont see it happening for the D90/D5000. They need to be sure the D300s has more features to pay more money for.

6. dL302

dL302

Aug 7, 2008
    Vancouver
    Oh I'd love to see AF on my D90 video mode.

dL

7. I would love auto focus on the D90 video. When it's bright outside glare off the view screen makes it impossible to focus.

8. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    You think Nikon will give you something like this for free? :m35: especially when they're asking $850 for the new 18-200vr, and $2399 for the new 70-200II? Don't hold your breathe lol

9. On that point, was is the difference between the new and old 18-200? Just newer VR?

10. D90 is lacking

AF-C focus+ release
    intravolameter

movie af = would be cool but would rather have the above

11. morcguy

morcguy

Dec 29, 2006
    Minnesota
    I still have not used the video mode of my D90.

Just no interest, not why I bought the camera.

12. ^ Not sure how this adds to the discussion

13. It's worthwhile to remember that the D90 uses the D200 AF system. This is not to suggest that it is not capable of doing what you would like, but logically, if it was capable of doing it, why didn't Nikon introduce it when they announced the D90?

Personally, I'm hoping that there there will be some software/firmware updates for D90/D300 users (let's say one generation or so back) that will help/encourage many of us to stick with Nikon. I think though, that there will be just enough to say yes, I'll stay with Nikon, but enough in the next 1/2 generation that will entice us to upgrade.

14. And what did your "add" to the server bandwith contribute? He was just stating that video was not the reason that moved him toward the D90. I was able to interpret that quite easily from his post! :biggrin:

15. nikon site says it used the 51 point AF system in handheld mode for video, what ever that means

16. I suppose it won't be able to do 51-pt 3D tracking, or maybe it can, if you're taking a video of snails racing :tongue:

17. This is a thread about the possibilty of of a firmware upgrade and what you would like to see in that firmware upgrade - not, what the reason was for purchasing your camera. Too bad you weren't able to interpret that as easily from the thread title.

-Fred

18. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    This might be comparing apples to oranges for all I know but since Canon did release firmware updates for the 5d II's video (for free of course) why couldn't it be the case for the D90 ? Of course Canon doesn't have another camera that it would canibalise like the D90 would the D300.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.