Withdrawal symptoms; sent my D7100 back

Well, as useful as the D7100 was, I returned mine to B&H on Monday. I was sill seeing too many AF inconsistency issues from the 2nd body (first went back at the beginning of April). I made a note of telling B&H that I wasn't very happy that the 2nd body had 890+ photos on it already when it arrived. First camera started at zero like it should. Neither body would focus well using the outer AF points, and all of the report from happy users nailing the focus for BIF shots with all manner of lenses was frustrating when mine wouldn't nail a tree in my neighbor's front yard, while sitting still on a tripod more than 6 times out of 10 shots.

Back it went... The problem is, I'm addicted to the resolution, color, ISO, clarity, metering, etc. I simply cannot use my D300 now. I did a second shoot on a car I'd shot once before using the D7100, and compared them to the D300 photos and I'm sorry to say that the D7100 shots just destroyed those from the older body. Time and technology both march on!

I'm left waiting for B&H to ship me a replacement D710 and crossing my fingers with the hope that everything will be well with the new one.

Last edited by a moderator:
The pic shows up but the link doesn't work. Still getting used to working on a Mac Mini after a hard drive crash on my laptop two weeks ago. Frustrating, but that's life sometimes!

I gotta stop reading this forum. Mine arrives today and I'm paranoid already.
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Happy to hear about your thoughts on it vs the D300. That's a positive. Hope you can get this sorted out.

On the full-size version of this one, I can read the DOT lettering on the clear rear lens' plastic. Incredible resolution!

8657520235_9298cf1a8f_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I fixed the link for you rotarymunkey. you had URL=[www and removing the [ that shouldn't be there works. :smile:

I hope the replacement turns out better, but I'd find it pretty worrying that the same inconsistent AF is on a brand new model. I have pals with D800's who feel the same way about the AF on that body. I tried 2 D7000's and the AF was pretty much the same too, all over the place

It sounds like Sony did their part. Nikon needs to come through with better manufacturing and reliability of body mechanics? Not sure how many units have the problems that you have seen.

Did I read that the D7100 isn't actually a Sony sensor (Panasonic?) or was it just speculation? Nikon said it was a NEW sensor I think & not the same as the D5200.

Did I read that the D7100 isn't actually a Sony sensor (Panasonic?) or was it just speculation? Nikon said it was a NEW sensor I think & not the same as the D5200.

I thought I saw that it was made by Toshiba

My understanding is that the D7100 sensor is not from Sony but is from another vendor, and is possibly a development of the Toshiba sensor in the D5200. I don't care who made it, its brilliant! However, Nikon has shown the path that Sony and Canon will pursue very quickly with updates to the Sony A77 and A99 and the upcoming Canon 7D2 (and other lower market Rebel bodies). This advantage will only be temporary. Perhaps Nikon had to choose Toshiba because Sony withheld the 24mp DX sensor from them? Who knows. It is a little noisier than other back-lit sensor arrays, but the noise doesn't appear as random color mash, but more like dark spots reminiscent of film grain. Very artistic, IMHO.

Cujo-thanks for fixing the link! I tried it several ways and just used whatever made the photo show up. LOL

i received word today that B&H has my new D7100 on the way, and that it should arrive tomorrow or Friday! Yay! I've been going over many photos over these last two weeks and must say that the D7100 makes accurate metering a CINCH! Mixed light sources, low light, flash, etc. Best I've ever seen from Nikon! Soon to be in my hands once more, then its back to work for this lad!

morcguy, yes I think it was Toshiba now you mention it.

Makes me wonder if leaving the AA filter off, was because the new sensor wasn't able to produce sharp enough images with it on?

btw, i'm not knocking Nikon for the sake of it, i've been a Nikon user (& fan) for over 30 years, but QC issues/reports this past year or so, seems to have hit an all time high.

I just pray & hope they pay attention to & do something about them before they start to lose their reputation.

Well, as useful as the D7100 was, I returned mine to B&H on Monday. I was sill seeing too many AF inconsistency issues from the 2nd body (first went back at the beginning of April). I made a note of telling B&H that I wasn't very happy that the 2nd body had 890+ photos on it already when it arrived. First camera started at zero like it should. Neither body would focus well using the outer AF points, and all of the report from happy users nailing the focus for BIF shots with all manner of lenses was frustrating when mine wouldn't nail a tree in my neighbor's front yard, while sitting still on a tripod more than 6 times out of 10 shots.

Back it went... The problem is, I'm addicted to the resolution, color, ISO, clarity, metering, etc. I simply cannot use my D300 now. I did a second shoot on a car I'd shot once before using the D7100, and compared them to the D300 photos and I'm sorry to say that the D7100 shots just destroyed those from the older body. Time and technology both march on!

I'm left waiting for B&H to ship me a replacement D710 and crossing my fingers with the hope that everything will be well with the new one.

This is sad. I would think that vendors would know by now that with all the nasty stuff going on, people will be checking this. Good luck with your new one, I would again check the shutter count.

My D7100 - broken On/Off switch right out of the box. My last body purchase was the D800 - Left AF problem. Nice to be able to send a brand new product back to the manufacturer in mere days after purchasing it........... Not. May be time for us to open the product - and use it in store for a few hours before laying down the credit card.........

Problem is many of us buy online so that option is not available. I think it is quite unfortunate to have a broken out of the box product (be it camera or any other item) My only suggestion is to use reputable sellers who have an easy return policy, Amazon are pretty good in my experience with this.

Its safest to simply wait 2-3 months after a new camera body is out (available date). By then, I would imagine QC testing issues would be worked out. Sad to say...

Even mine will be going back in a few weeks most likely for sporadic focus issues.

I waited ages after the D7000 was out nearly 2 years and still got hit with AF problems. I don't think waiting is a solution in this case. I don't know what's going on at the Nikon factory, but QC seems to still be a problem.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom