Witness to War

Real Name
Phil
The 'International Witness to War' is a joint project of our kids' school and the University of Hong Kong. Each year, the grade 10 students interview veterans and people who have firsthand experience of WWII and submitted the transcripts in audio and written forms to the History Department of the University. After selection, some of the transcripts are kept in the archive of the University. More than 250 transcripts were put in the archive since the project began 5 years ago, and it's one of the largest collections of similar records in Asia.

Today was this year's recognition ceremony. Here are some of the recipients of the certificate.

original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

And this is the star of the ceremony - my mom :biggrin:
original.jpg

Her interviewer - Julian
original.jpg

Grandma and grandson
original.jpg

Thanks for looking

Phil, Magnificent & Well Deserved Tribute! I Know Your Proud Of Your Son & We Are Too! Great Set!!!

Congrats to your son, Phil. That's a great project. I wish there would have been something like that when I was in high school. Then I could have documented my grandfather's experiences in the Pacific. As it was - I had to settle with great anecdotes that live on in my memory only.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Wow, Phil - what a fantastic project! Your mom is so beautiful and what a great way to memorialize her experience. Tell Justin, "Well Done!!" for me, and your photos are simply stellar!

Interesting post! You have a wonderful family, Phil. Thanks for posting!

In short, what kind of things did your Mom witness? People attacking each other, or planes attacking or soldiers shooting?

Real Name
Phil
Phil, Magnificent & Well Deserved Tribute! I Know Your Proud Of Your Son & We Are Too! Great Set!!!
Thank you Steve. It's a great experience for him.

Very nice series. Congrats to your son and Mom.
Thank you very much Art. My son is much closer to grandma after hearing her stories.

Well done. Beautiful family..
Thank you very much Vince.

Congrats to your son, Phil. That's a great project. I wish there would have been something like that when I was in high school. Then I could have documented my grandfather's experiences in the Pacific. As it was - I had to settle with great anecdotes that live on in my memory only.
Thank you Justin. It's a great project. Having firsthand experience from common folks is a nice addition to the history archive. Now my mom's voice and stories are kept and indexed in the university and can share with future generations.

Wow, Phil - what a fantastic project! Your mom is so beautiful and what a great way to memorialize her experience. Tell Justin, "Well Done!!" for me, and your photos are simply stellar!
Thank you Lyndee. It's great experience for my son as these are real stories that he cannot read from books. It broadens his views on history and wars.

Real Name
Phil
That's wonderful Phil. Your son continues to rack up awards and to share that with his grandma is just super. Your images are special. Congratulations to Julian and to your family.
Thank you Gordon. I am very proud of both of them.

Interesting post! You have a wonderful family, Phil. Thanks for posting!
Thank you very much Eric.

Phil, great photos and a wonderful story.
Thanks for sharing both with us.
Thank you Dave. We are all very moved seeing the old folks' stories.

In short, what kind of things did your Mom witness? People attacking each other, or planes attacking or soldiers shooting?
My mom witnessed bombing and invasion of troops into her village. She then lived four years under occupation, with no money, doing labour work for the Japanese with a bowl of rice mixed with sand each day as salary, eating plant roots and had guns pointing at her head several times. And there're more.....

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom