Woman Severely Gored by Bison She Was Photographing in Yellowstone

. Bears learned that Subarus, with no window frames, were easy to get into!
Bears in Mount McKinley would rip the window seals out of Honda cars in the mid-70's. Apparently they used a glue which smelled good to a bear. The car might not have anything inside, but the bear would pull the seal from the windshield, and the glass would fall out.

Seen an adult poking at a timber rattler at Devils Lake. Snake was very agitated. Thing was he had no idea it was a rattler eve though it was rattling. He kept saying it was a grass snake and they can mimic other snakes and WI don't have "poisonous snakes". Two of us told him that it IS a rattlesnake and it IS a felony to harass endangered animals. That got his attention and he backed off. Really was surprised the snake didn't try striking. I know they are pretty mellow but damn if someone needed to be bit it was that clown.

Seen an adult poking at a timber rattler at Devils Lake. Snake was very agitated. Thing was he had no idea it was a rattler eve though it was rattling. He kept saying it was a grass snake and they can mimic other snakes and WI don't have "poisonous snakes". Two of us told him that it IS a rattlesnake and it IS a felony to harass endangered animals. That got his attention and he backed off. Really was surprised the snake didn't try striking. I know they are pretty mellow but damn if someone needed to be bit it was that clown.
Wow! I used to visit Devils Lake and didn’t realize rattlers lived there. I would have been a bit more careful while hiking the trails!

Glenn

We don't have any snakes, and have only one amphibian, a wood frog. But we do have moose, brown and black bears, and they can be very dangerous. There was a moose at University of Alaska in Anchorage that people had been pelting with snowballs, to try to get it away from a door to a building. It was filmed when a janitor tried to enter the building, and she attacked him. It took a few seconds, and the poor guy was dead. We normally have 2-5 bear attacks each year, some fatal, most commonly black bears, but there have been brown bears that have preyed on people. I was in Denali when a large male bear killed a hiker, and ate him. That bear was destroyed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was jogging along a trail along the NW edge of Anchorage (back in the 90's when I did such things) when we saw a Moose dart on to the trail. We found the nearest tree and waited for him to go the other way. We hen headed to other way.

Bison can seem calm, but they are extremely fast and agile. They can outmaneuver a horse. I was a ranger in Theodore Roosevelt NP, and we had bison. We were asked to sometimes try to move one out of a campground. You can sometimes yell, and wave something (still not close to them!) and they would hopefully move out of the campground. I also found that revving the car engine would often work as well. I never enjoyed harassing them, nor the bears in a previous post. I worked in the parks because I love nature. When I quit the NPS in 1979, I began a career as a wildlife photographer. I worked for NGS for 4 years, doing 8 assignments, and then began working on my own, covering wildlife in 25 other countries besides the US. I am now retired.
What an envious career you have had. Living your passion!

Wow! I used to visit Devils Lake and didn’t realize rattlers lived there. I would have been a bit more careful while hiking the trails!

Glenn
We have Timber Rattlers and Massassauga Rattlers in WI. Both endangered. Timbers are more common. Massassaugas are only known to be found in 3 small locations in southern and sw WI. Both are timid snakes and want to get away from you well before you see them usually. Was up at Devils lake walking up from the south parking lot a number of years ago. Was low 60's out. Some climbers were walking down the trail so we stepped aside to let them pass (narrow trail). I stepped into a little alcove with a small pine tree. Next thing you hear is the rattle of a rattlesnake coming from underneath a boulder about 3' from me. I knew what it was, knew the snake is just letting me know "leave me alone". Climbers passed by, I got back on the trail and it stopped rattling. Once we got back on the trail, I heard the lady behind me ask her husband what that sound was. I turned and just said there was a rattlesnake under the rock I was next to. She turned white. Had to explain to her they are rather 'harmless' for a venomous snake and you have to be doing something really really stupid to get bit by one. Still will need AV if you get bit, but they arent hyper aggressive like Easterns and Sidewinders. Being colder out did help also.

Last year at Arlington Cemetery I seen an Eastern sunning itself in the grass near the road.I switch to the other side of the road I was walking on. Dang thing was at least 6'. Was kind of weird seeing it since I thought they were not usually found in that area. Even the guy at the Zoo said that was odd.

THis is one seen in July 2018

Video in CHannel3000 story. Photo is from story also.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom