Womans Junior College Volleyball

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Sauk, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    ok first time shooting and I must say I am hooked. Good fast action.

Shot with a D3 Sigma 300mm F2.8 prime. Exif is in tact in the photos. All were shot manual. In warm ups I used auto iso to tell me where I needed to be, then I went from there. Shooting down low on the court I used 1/1000 with an ISO of 3200 to 4000 and up high I used 1/1250 with an ISO of 4000 to 5000.

The D3 is simply amazing. The ISO performance is outstanding. I shot raw because of the cycling lights.

Focal Length 300 mm
    Exposure Time 1/800 sec
    Aperture f/2.8
    ISO Equivalent 4000

View attachment 247445
    Exposure Time 1/800 sec
    Aperture f/2.8
    ISO Equivalent 4000

View attachment 247446
    Exposure Time 1/1250 sec
    Aperture f/2.8
    ISO Equivalent 4000

View attachment 247447
    Exposure Time 1/1250 sec
    Aperture f/2.8
    ISO Equivalent 4000

View attachment 247448
    Exposure Time 1/1250 sec
    Aperture f/2.8
    ISO Equivalent 4000

View attachment 247449
    Exposure Time 1/1250 sec
    Aperture f/2.8
    ISO Equivalent 4000

View attachment 247450
    Exposure Time 1/1250 sec
    Aperture f/2.8
    ISO Equivalent 4000

View attachment 247451
    Exposure Time 1/800 sec
    Aperture f/2.8
    ISO Equivalent 3200

View attachment 247452
    Exposure Time 1/1000 sec
    Aperture f/2.8
    ISO Equivalent 4000

2. vz223

vz223

Dec 7, 2007
    NJ
    Nice work Matt. Love the angles. You covered the action well and have a good eye. Thanks for sharing these and making all us D300 folks jealous!

3. very nice Matthew, that D3 sure is sweet. great timing on your shots.

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Wow! :eek:  These are so clean, I cannot believe the image quality. Excellent use of vantage points from around the court to create interest.

5. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    MAtt these are great. Having just tried shooting Volleyball ,All I can say is you did a great job.

6. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Fantastic ! Great angles and great action captured. Very impressive.

7. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    wow !

no strobes ?

I wasn't gonna try VB unless i had strobes but these have me rethinking

8. I second that comment. I have been looking at how to position strobes for volleyball (to provide enough light while avoiding distraction for the players)...but these shots are so bright and clean that they have me rethiking my strategy!

Great work...
    Glenn

9. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    MAtt , I was looking at the Exif and it says whitebalance Manual . What were you set at if you dont mind me asking?

I was shooting Auto and my results were no where near as good as youres.
    I wonder if the wood floor & smaller gym with white walls helped . I was in a huge Convention Hall with grey mats, and fleshy colored walls . Do you think that may have been my problem?

10. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006

I pm-ed him the same question:smile:
    I can't shoot in a gym w/ wb=auto unless i shoot raw and fix it latter....i'm guessing he set wb off a card but even then it's dangerous to shoot jpg because the lights are changing and you can't fix it
    I have never set wb manually but i will try it tonight and also shoot raw in case i screw it up

11. JESTER

JESTER

Dec 4, 2007
    ORLANDO, FLORIDA
    These are nice Matt. Must be some very good lighting in that gym. You even stopped the ball, which I have trouble doing. I usually shoot in a cave! Our season starts this week. I'm looking forward to it.

12. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    biggstr6 and Randy,

I had shot this arena before and it does have some good lighting but it still recycles like crazy during a burst. So after shooting it last year I kinda knew what tempreture to shoot the game at. I went warmer then usual at around 3450 when in post I would actually move it to around 3100 to 3200.

Also I would always suggest you shoot raw when shooting ambient light in an arena with bad lighting. You do use up a lot of space, but you also make sure you get it right in PP.

Thank you for all the nice comments. I showed up about 40 minutes before the game and walked around to see where I could shoot. I think next time I will venture up to the stands more to get some more angles. That is the cool thing about volleyball is the many different angles you can get images.

13. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
  14. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    as good as the ones you posted are there are many that are alot better in the gallery....stunning work...i am going to shoot a hs vb game tonight at a new school with great light...thx for the motivation !

15. Excellent work, Matthew

The D3 really provides the technical edge for high ISO shooting. You got some interesting shots from quite a few angles. ... Gives me some ideas. Thanks!

16. chemisti

chemisti

May 24, 2007
    McKinney, TX
    Excellent shots - wow - so clean. The D3/D700 has definitely changed the game!

17. great shooting
    love the light in that gym
    you did very well, matt

18. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    Thank you all again, means a lot :) 

To be able to use an ISO of 4 to 5000 is SOOOOO nice. Not only to use it but the image is still usable is the most important. To be honest I could have went up to 6400 ISO to get my shutter even higher if I wanted to, but I chose to play it safe. I think next time I might shoot an entire game at 6400 ISO to get a feel for it and post them.

To bad their next match is on Sept 27th. But I am going to cover a HS game to see how it goes from a HS match wise.

19. I shot some volleyball at the beginning of the season for the NP and my pictures are like P&S stuff compared to yours. I took my 300 2.8 but never found a good spot to make it work (small gym) and use the 70-200. I got a couple of usable pics for the NP but nothing like this. I'm saving my bones for a D3 but there will probably be a D6 before I can afford one :frown:

Anyway, these are great no matter what camera you used.

Dennis

20. BrendaC

BrendaC

Sep 24, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    This past school year was my first attempt to shoot vball. I would say the results were mediocre at best, defintely NOT my favorite. Your images are great. I have been wanting a 300mm, maybe I should look at the Sigma.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.