1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Women's College Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by tlong, Sep 17, 2008.

1. tlong

tlong

May 25, 2008
    Southeast, USA
    This was my first go at soccer at the college level. It was really fun! The light was beautiful for most of the game and there were even a few spots that had nice backgrounds!

Here are a few to share. Please C&C. Thanks!

374812528_rgj3j-L.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

374812972_AhFWm-L.jpg

374813337_7DDxw-L.jpg

374813700_6bcpm-L.jpg

374813912_bAR3s-L.jpg

374814230_xVugg-L.jpg

374814634_ZjHET-L.jpg

374815567_ouSyc-L.jpg

374814945_8v9zZ-L.jpg

10. This play resulted in the only goal of the game. #14 escaped with the ball and punched it in for a GOALLLLLLL! I just wish she would have put her right hand down :) 
    374817332_PnWHm-L.jpg

Thanks for looking!

(I promise I will respond quicker this time :)  )

2. VDMTom

VDMTom

Jun 24, 2008
    CA, USA
    cant imagine capturing something this fast! good stuff.

3. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Oh man...look at all those "head shots". :biggrin:
    It's so very difficult for me to capture those type shots...and you got FOUR in the same game. Wow!

I love #10...
    A picture is worth a thousand words...well, #10 sums up one word perfectly..
    Intensity!

4. tlong

tlong

May 25, 2008
    Southeast, USA
    Thanks, Tom!

Jeff...there were SO many headers in this game! The opposing GK had a great leg and could boot it past midfield with no problem. The girls headed it about half the time! It was great practice trying to get my timing right.

5. nice shots, #2 is great! maybe crop #10 tighter? It's a great action grab...

6. Nice looking shots, can't wait to start shooting some college stuff. Always love the faster action.

Jeff, I get about 5+ headers a game, always look when the goalie is booting the ball away like a punter. Some times goal kicks the same will happen, you just have to anticipate it.

7. Very well done for your first time out. To my way of thinking to many soccer shooters (usually us Americans whose major sports do not involve using their head :rolleyes: ) concentrate on the headed ball shots, when the more interesting shots are usually found when playeres challenge each other for possesion or contort themselves into interesting body shapes (No.5 )while shooting or passing the ball. My 2 cents. Looking forward to seeing more

8. Alan

Alan

May 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Tracey, those are great shots. Sharp, great color, great exposure, and the intense faces tell it all. What lens, and settings?

9. tlong

tlong

May 25, 2008
    Southeast, USA
    Thanks, Chris. Unfortuantely on #10, the action had moved to the other end of the field. I decided to make a quick card change, when she started running back my way. I dropped the card and camera and picked up the camera with the 70-200 and grabbed a few with it, so it is already a pretty substantial crop...Bummer! It was the only goal of the game, too...what luck! LOL!

That was exactly the situation!

Thanks, Brooks. I am definitely guilty of liking the header shots. I have shot quite a bit of little kid soccer and some high school soccer, so I was excited to see some headers :)  I will definitely keep your comments in mind on my next outing.

Thanks, Alan. I am using a pair of D300's. I had a 70-200VR on one and a 300 2.8 AF-I and 1.4 TC on the other. I shot wide open to keep the SS high in aperture priority. As the field got dark, I continued to shoot wide open, but in manual with auto ISO. I am still experimenting with that feature, but it worked out really well last night IMHO.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.