Wondering if anyone else has faced this...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dramatapix®, Jun 14, 2007.

1. I host a photo site as part of my home studio and part time photo work on Smugmug. Yesterday I was bombarded with comments on my guestbook page from a single person professing to be a professional photographer for over 25 years. This person lambasted my photos and proceeded to tell me how bad they were and that it was obvious that I am just starting out, and that I should take some lessons, and look at other peoples work, etc.

I'm all for critique and suggestions to better my work, but this was unsolicited and in my open gallery. Has anyone else faced this kind of negative approach to your work? Is this common that other photographers might be so threatened by other people and their work that they feel it necessary to seek out websites of others and arbitrarily comment negatively on what they feel to be less than their own standards?

I did lock down my commenting so that now I need to approve all comments, but I have to admit that I was a little taken back by this action... Worse yet, he has me questioning my own abilities!!!! Geeeeez, what a way to make someone feel good.

2. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Open comments tend to be a draw for anyone who needs attention. Approving comments is one way to handle it, but it's time consuming. One of the better approaches I've found is to require authentication of some sort.

People aren't quite as naughty when you know who they are, or at least how to reach back to them.

3. Yeah no doubt... I tried to get him to at least give me an email to reply to , or a way to contact him and he just kept on going that it was his lot to seek out "bad photographers" and expose them. Good God~!

4. Sounds as though this guy is someone best ignored....clearly he has an agenda other than promoting good photography! That is NOT normal behavior. I'm sorry that this happened to you. I have the "comments" section turned off in my Smugmug galleries because I've heard of others having problems with negative remarks and such.

5. 1st, I would love to see some of your work.
    2nd, most who do this type of commenting are just not playing with a full deck. I think that you should just dismiss it as nothing more than an idiot ranting and someone hiding behind the cover of the internet.:smile:

6. brownie2d2x

brownie2d2x Guest

From an amateur who appreciates the hard work of professionals, I really enjoyed your website.

7. Thanks all... I suspected that this guy is not playing with a full deck. I didn't know if this was something that others might have come across.

Thanks for asking to see some of my work... my site is located at:

http://www.dramatapix.com/

As I said, I've sought out comments and critique before and certainly don't mind getting it when it is constructive. :) 

Brett

8. I concur, it is very nice, keep up the good work.

9. emidyl

emidyl

Jan 28, 2007
    GTA
    two words Brett.

BITE ME!

Keep up the good work, life's too short as I have been known to say on many occasions.:wink:

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I haven't had it happen yet
    But one day I am sure we will all get a few of those idiots

11. nothing wrong with your pics other than my internet program at work won't open them...

anyway, I just delete or ignore comments, emails, and calls from people I don't like.

12. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Yep I have had it happen and even on this forum when I was dong the mentoring area, I had some doozy PMs from folks who were bent out of shape about me doing that work.

Also I get it a lot at workshops, and just out shooting around town in general, from a lot of shooters who just come up and seem to want to start an argument abut gear, equipment, techniques, or show off that they know more than I do.

I usually pack up and move away, once in a while, I may say something on the way out, but it is best to ignore, but boy they sure do get your mind and body going!

Wade

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2007
  13. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    It happens in every field. I was recently at a Microsoft Tech-Ed conference, and a guy in one session was hell-bent on disproving the presenter in some way just to prove how smart he was. In my opinion, he looked more like an idiot for doing so.

If this person truly wanted to help, he would've offered constructive criticism or suggestions of alternative takes on your photos. Based upon your description, it seems he had no specific advice or supportive comments. Sounds like a jerk to me.

14. Thanks all for your feedback and comments. I suppose I should just take it for what it is was and chock it up to another life experience. :) 

15. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    This could easily be a 9 or 10 year old having fun on the PC. I doubt a professional photographer would do something like this.

16. .
    Wade, isn't that what they make monopods for?....I carry the biggest Bogen makes, and it has a dent or three.....

17. LisaR

LisaR Guest

Good grief! I looked at your site, and the pictures are great. I wouldn't let it worry you .... it's apparent this person has nothing better to do. Now here is my take on it::
    1. Troll
    2. Remember most schools just let out (there are always a lot more trolls during the summertime ... I guess the kids have nothing else to do)
    3. If this person "has" been a professional photographer for 25 years, he would be booked up and not have time to "seek" out websites to offer "his" opinions.

Just my 2 cents worth!

18. LB Jefferies

LB Jefferies

Jan 29, 2006
    Do you have access to your web server logs? It's pretty simple to find out where your commenter is broadcasting from that way. :smile:
    Once you find that info, you can take whatever action you deem appropriate. :biggrin:

19. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    Anybody else remember the good old days and 'Flaming'. Overload your new friend with a copy of the collected works of Dostoevsky. :biggrin:

Trolls usually get bored quickly, it's in line with their child like attention span. Tell him you love his ideas, and would love to meet to further enhance your appreciation. If he bites and turns up you can then 'Rembrandt' him.

(Put him in the picture) :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

20. Hahaha

I had initially replied to his third comment (after deleting it twice) with that same thing... I think I said something to the effect of... "I hope that after I'm in the business for 25 years I have more to do than surf the web and harass photographers that threaten me!"

Thanks for the kind words about my work.

Brett

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.