Wondering if I should get another dog

We have had 3 Newfies over the years. Last one died about 8 years ago. Dog sitting (just had our daughter's 120 pound Saint B mix for 8 mos) reminds us of the freedom we lose (and the yard full of poop we gain) when we have a dog. But we are talking about maybe another dog. A mutt this time. But not my idea.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for all the comments to my original post. It looks like the decision has been made for us. My son and family have watched Toby when we traveled. In some ways he was as much a part of their family as ours. Last April they got a dog and Toby and Boomer became good friends. When Toby died they decided Boomer needed another friend so they got a second dog. They assumed we would not be getting a new dog (not sure why.) Two is enough for them.

So, no new dog for us. As much as I want one I don't want to be "trapped" from traveling and I do not like boarding dog.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
So sorry for your loss. I went down this path last August when Professor Higgins suddenly passed. I knew we would get another dog, and though that Spring 2020 would be a good time. Dec 6 we were offered a chance to view an 8 wk old Springerdoodle. Right breed, but we worried about the timing since we were going to Tanzania the first 2 weeks of March. We spoke with our neighbors who have always watched our dog when we traveled. They said go for it. Well......we did. By the time of our Tanzania trip, Isaac was pretty well potty trained and doing well with basic commands. After the trip, we came home to a wonderful pup. We have no travel plans for the next year or so that don't include him. It was the right decision for us. And your decision sounds like the right one for you.

Sorry to hear this Allan, we just lost our dog, Lucy in the middle of February. We miss her a great deal, the sounds of her wandering around the house and the announcements that someone is at the door. We're not likely to have another dog, the joy of their life is wonderful, the need to help them pass much less so.

I just put my best friend Rocco down, Mar 4th. He was 15 years old and it was time. Rocco traveled with me in our 38ft RV and has been across country 24 times. I really hurts to know he won’t be traveling with me anymore.
I have read all the comments and I cannot add anymore, except I probably will get another dog. They bring way to much joy and make me get out and walk daily.
Allan I feel for your loss. Hopefully you will make the right decision for you.

Real Name
Ken
Thanks for all the comments to my original post. It looks like the decision has been made for us. My son and family have watched Toby when we traveled. In some ways he was as much a part of their family as ours. Last April they got a dog and Toby and Boomer became good friends. When Toby died they decided Boomer needed another friend so they got a second dog. They assumed we would not be getting a new dog (not sure why.) Two is enough for them.

So, no new dog for us. As much as I want one I don't want to be "trapped" from traveling and I do not like boarding dog.
I was just reading today that many animal shelters are starting to fill up because of COVID-19 and its impacts. They were asking if foster families would help them deal with the overflow. I do not know what things are like in Nashua, but it may be something you could consider for a short period if need be.

--Ken

Allan - First and foremost, I was sorry to hear about your loss of Toby. There is no way to sugarcoat it; it is really tough to lose a pet so, as I said, I was very sorry to hear about it. On the boarding issue, there are individuals that will board pets in their homes. Our experience has been that this can work out quite well. That might be a suitable alternative for you to consider but then we only travel a couple of time a year. I also have a friend who increased her travel schedule substantially once her beloved pet died. She enjoys the freedom to travel and gets her pet "fix" by pet sitting at her friends' houses when they travel so I certainly understand your dilemma.

Update - I have joined petfinder and get a few dogs that I may want each day. I am doing nothing at this time, though, as I stay hunkered in my home 23 hours a day (just go out for a run or walk.) Once things get settled I will start looking more seriously.
I am picking though.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom