Wondering if I should get another dog - UPDATED

We have had 3 Newfies over the years. Last one died about 8 years ago. Dog sitting (just had our daughter's 120 pound Saint B mix for 8 mos) reminds us of the freedom we lose (and the yard full of poop we gain) when we have a dog. But we are talking about maybe another dog. A mutt this time. But not my idea.

IMG_0214.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for all the comments to my original post. It looks like the decision has been made for us. My son and family have watched Toby when we traveled. In some ways he was as much a part of their family as ours. Last April they got a dog and Toby and Boomer became good friends. When Toby died they decided Boomer needed another friend so they got a second dog. They assumed we would not be getting a new dog (not sure why.) Two is enough for them.

So, no new dog for us. As much as I want one I don't want to be "trapped" from traveling and I do not like boarding dog.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
So sorry for your loss. I went down this path last August when Professor Higgins suddenly passed. I knew we would get another dog, and though that Spring 2020 would be a good time. Dec 6 we were offered a chance to view an 8 wk old Springerdoodle. Right breed, but we worried about the timing since we were going to Tanzania the first 2 weeks of March. We spoke with our neighbors who have always watched our dog when we traveled. They said go for it. Well......we did. By the time of our Tanzania trip, Isaac was pretty well potty trained and doing well with basic commands. After the trip, we came home to a wonderful pup. We have no travel plans for the next year or so that don't include him. It was the right decision for us. And your decision sounds like the right one for you.

Sorry to hear this Allan, we just lost our dog, Lucy in the middle of February. We miss her a great deal, the sounds of her wandering around the house and the announcements that someone is at the door. We're not likely to have another dog, the joy of their life is wonderful, the need to help them pass much less so.

I just put my best friend Rocco down, Mar 4th. He was 15 years old and it was time. Rocco traveled with me in our 38ft RV and has been across country 24 times. I really hurts to know he won’t be traveling with me anymore.
I have read all the comments and I cannot add anymore, except I probably will get another dog. They bring way to much joy and make me get out and walk daily.
Allan I feel for your loss. Hopefully you will make the right decision for you.

Real Name
Ken
Thanks for all the comments to my original post. It looks like the decision has been made for us. My son and family have watched Toby when we traveled. In some ways he was as much a part of their family as ours. Last April they got a dog and Toby and Boomer became good friends. When Toby died they decided Boomer needed another friend so they got a second dog. They assumed we would not be getting a new dog (not sure why.) Two is enough for them.

So, no new dog for us. As much as I want one I don't want to be "trapped" from traveling and I do not like boarding dog.
I was just reading today that many animal shelters are starting to fill up because of COVID-19 and its impacts. They were asking if foster families would help them deal with the overflow. I do not know what things are like in Nashua, but it may be something you could consider for a short period if need be.

--Ken

Allan - First and foremost, I was sorry to hear about your loss of Toby. There is no way to sugarcoat it; it is really tough to lose a pet so, as I said, I was very sorry to hear about it. On the boarding issue, there are individuals that will board pets in their homes. Our experience has been that this can work out quite well. That might be a suitable alternative for you to consider but then we only travel a couple of time a year. I also have a friend who increased her travel schedule substantially once her beloved pet died. She enjoys the freedom to travel and gets her pet "fix" by pet sitting at her friends' houses when they travel so I certainly understand your dilemma.

Update - I have joined petfinder and get a few dogs that I may want each day. I am doing nothing at this time, though, as I stay hunkered in my home 23 hours a day (just go out for a run or walk.) Once things get settled I will start looking more seriously.
I am picking though.

It is not easy to find a dog these days. They are flying out of shelters - I read an article that people want them for quarantine buddies. I have about given up on Petfinder and similar ites - as I am lookinng for a small dog and they are even harder to find. Craigslist is next.

It is not easy to find a dog these days. They are flying out of shelters - I read an article that people want them for quarantine buddies. I have about given up on Petfinder and similar ites - as I am lookinng for a small dog and they are even harder to find. Craigslist is next.
I really hope that all these people that are getting these shelter dog don't end up putting them back there after all the stay at home (quarantine) is over, as it'll be so, so sad for the puppy's that are returned...

Puppies can be a lot of work and shelter dogs can have many issues. Unfortunately, I do think many will be put in shelters or even worse once the virus threat lessens.

My daughter served as a foster parent for her local animal shelter for a while (she does have a Master's in Social Work :D ) She fell in love with her 6th or 7th dog and ended up adopting her for good. A match if there ever was one!

I really hope that all these people that are getting these shelter dog don't end up putting them back there after all the stay at home (quarantine) is over, as it'll be so, so sad for the puppy's that are returned...

That is exactly what I was thinking, too; all of a sudden Mom or Dad gets the bright idea of a great way to keep the kids amused during these days of everyone staying at home, and they say, "we'll get a dog!" and hustle off to their local animal shelter. Yep, once the kids are back in school and one or both parents are back at work, all of a sudden the new dog won't be as appealing any more, especially if they have to hire a dog walker to come in and walk their pet during the day since everyone in the family is away from home for so many hours.

Yes, dogs, especially puppies which need to be house-trained, are a lot of work, even though they are also wonderful, rewarding companions. Dogs who have already been in the shelter for a while may indeed have problems which make them less than the wonderful companion that the family was anticipating, and that could possibly result in many of them being returned to the shelter, which would be very sad.

we have a Doodles, very smart, easy to train, no shed as they have Hair not fur, so do need hair cuts 4 times a year... as we are hikers, our Trek is 65 lbs and can carry his own pack as needed. he is 3 years old this August 2020, and when the time comes, we would replace him with a smaller version the 35 lb version of the Doodles.. we lost his brother (Parker) at age 4 unexpectedly, and Trek and Parker have the same father. For us, its very important to meet both the mother and father and interact with them to ensure the parents are a good match for us as these are long bonds.

first image in Blaze orange in Trek.. the 2nd image if Parker and I after we hit the summit of Mt. Ellinor.. yes, a dog does create some travel issues, but the benefits, both physical and mentally for us more than out weight the downsides.

Doodles are great dogs and so easily trained. We house broke Trek in 4 days with a bell on the front door. Then he got smarter than us, he started hitting the bell on the door with his nose, knowing we would take him out immediately, but just wanted to go out and play. So he trained us...
Trek-a-Doo (1 of 1).jpg
girardi.parker2 2.jpg

I've always loved animals but never got a dog when I moved to new Zealand I never got another one due to difficulty finding a rental who allows pets and the fact that being on my own it wouldn't be fair for the dog for me to be at work
during the week and leave them alone.
When I got married 8 years ago my wife wanted a dog - I've never thought of myself as a 'small dog' person but totally love this little guy, he's a toy poodle and very smart.
I'm not allowed to get up on my own in the mornings, he pounces into my arms and I have to do everything with one arm while preparing my breakfast.
20200411_093929.jpg

We have 4 Golden Retrievers and we couldn't be without one of them...

#1... Mattie (Mum), Murphy (Son), Moe (Dad) & Maecie (Daughter)... ❤❤❤❤

DC3_6853_10129a00_2.jpg

#2... Mattie, Murphy, Moe & Maecie...

DC3_7536_11255b00a-1.jpg

#3... We did at one stage have 7. Here they all are except for one, as she was standing behind me when I took the shot...

DC3_4992d01cr.jpg

So sorry for your loss. We had Kayla for 17 years before she left us. I lasted a couple of weeks before I found Trooper at our local rescue. There was a connection right away when I first laid eyes on him....rough start as he would not let anyone get near him when his ears were bothering him...the clue was he was sheltered in his own room away from other dogs. Now? Well I think this photo says it all.
Trooper and Dad 2970.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom