Wondering lately..

Do you send your gear in for maintenance, calibration and cleaning on a routine basis or just when you notice a problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good question! I'd send bodies in for a routine clean if I had backups. I've got a lens I need to send in for a cleaning, but it's my most used lens, and the turnaround time isn't making me want to part with it! I wish there was a Nikon service center within driving distance. It's under warranty, so paying a third party to clean it (one of the "dusty" 70-200vriis) isn't a good option, either.

Since APS, an authorized Nikon service center, is only twenty miles from my home, I bring my camera body there twice per year to have the sensor cleaned. Other than that, my camera body hasn't received any servicing.

If your camera body is under warranty, can you just send it to Nikon to have them check everything and clean the sensor? I assume you only have to pay for shipping. Do you have to tell them there's "something" wrong with the camera or can you simply request they look it over and clean it?
Thanks

I asked the question because I was so frustrated with focus issues and I thought it was the fault of my 50 1.4g .... I was sure that should be the sharpest lens in the bag and I could not for the life of me get sharp eyelashes on the baby....instead I was getting sharp ears.:mad:
I looked on the Nikon site and picked a repair center closest to me, over 100 miles and send it there. They replied that the lens is fine, no charge for inspection....they suggested that I send the body in since body focus issues are more apparent when using a faster lens.
Just talked to them on the phone and they did find a focus issue, the estimate is $142 (I bought refurb) which I don't think is bad. I would pay more than that if they can make it excellent. I played with my daughters D7000 last week so I wasn't so worried about user error anymore.
But so far, Midwest Camera repair in Wyandotte Michigan has been a pleasure to deal with, I was pretty anxious about the whole thing and feel lost without my camera. I can't wait to get it back.

i tend to wait until there's an actual problem with one piece of kit, at which point i'll arrange some loan gear and send in everything i'm even remotly concerned about.

If your camera body is under warranty, can you just send it to Nikon to have them check everything and clean the sensor? I assume you only have to pay for shipping. Do you have to tell them there's "something" wrong with the camera or can you simply request they look it over and clean it?
Thanks

Nikon here in Canada charges for a check and clean. I used to shoot Canon and this was all covered along with shipping. I was foolish and assumed this when I dropped of some gear at Nikon, when I went to pick it up I had a bill for over $1200.

Their flat rate to even look at a damaged item is something like $470.

The only thing that is covered for no charge is things that are under warranty..ie peeling rubber etc.

This does not include misuse, abuse or cleaning.

Not unless it is broken.

Sensor are kept clean with due caution, then a Gillotos Rocket blower, then canned air used with caution, then a Copperhill brush, last Eclipse fluid. Do it in that order. Stop when clean before going thru all the steps. I went to a wet clean only one time just for the heck of it. I never spot dust on the computer.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom