Woo hoo I got my 300mm f/4!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rich Gibson, Mar 18, 2005.

1. I was all set to attend my son Mark's battle reenactment....and then another son's wife reminded me about Elizabeth's ("Littlebit") fifth birthday party at the same time tomorrow. Ah well.

I will try my TC2.0EII with it and see if it's as as bad as some folks say the combination is. I got the 300 from J. Keith off our for sale forum and it was in pristine condition. It looks as if it was never used. Iim happy happy happy!

Later!

Rich :D :D :D :D :D :D

2. Hey congratulations Rich, this will be a great addition to your stable of lenses.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Rich,

The 300 f4 is a great lens (I think one of the best buys that you can get from Nikon). I don't think that you will like it as much with the 2.0 TC. I sometimes shoot with the 2.0 on my 300 f2.8, and it is OK, but with the f4, you are going to be at f6.3 wide open.

It is also a little soft. Now if you really want a good combo (with a TC), try the 1.4. Harris and others have had outstanding results with this combo. Of course, the 300 f4 is also excellent with no TC.

Good luck with your new lens. I think that you will absolutely love it.... :wink:

Frank

4. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    How is this lens with the 1.7? I would think that is a good compromise.

Dave

5. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    I have all that tax return money just sitting in my
    account and I have been eyeing that 300mm. But
    I think the wife would kill me if a started spending money on camera stuff before our move. :(

Can't wait to see the pictures you get with that lens.