Wood Duck, Song Sparrow - ID check pls?, Caspian Tern - ID

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Retief, May 30, 2005.

1. Quite a combo from Juanita today, along with the ever present Red Wing Blackbirds and GBH's.

Here are a few:

Song Sparrow-WRONGO (Thanks Janet :oops: ) This is a female RWBB, see Janets reply for the gory details:
    DSC8140.sized.

Well, I THINK it is a Song Sparrow. If not, please correct me....

There were a pair of Caspian Tern's way across the lake, they sure are pretty birds.

Caspian Tern:
    DSC8162.sized.

Mama Wood Duck preening for the Kids:
    DSC8209.sized.

Posing with the Whole Brood:
    DSC8232.sized.

The ducklings walk around on the Lilly Pads and Mom swims along feeding. They all climbed up on this board for a rest.

2. Ahhhhhhh....I love the last one!! :D :D :D

3. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    The last 2 are wonderful!

4. Nice shots, Bill! :) :) I especially like the Wood Ducks.

Thanks for sharing.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    All are super great Bill,

Thank you :>)))

6. Hey Bill...well you got the ducks right ;-)

Thats no Song Sparrow, in fact its not a Sparrow at all, its a female Red-winged Blackbird. Note the dark streaky sides, the large feet! and the bill is too narrow for a sparrow. Nice shots, especially mamma duck and the family in that last one.

7. Another question for Janet.....

Well, I was just getting ready to go and correct myself, when I saw this :oops: :oops: :oops:

The more I stared at it, the more I realized this. I never looked closely at the feet though, I'll look at that tonight. I think I'll just give up and call them all "Them Darned Birds" from now on :lol: :lol:

Here is what made me wonder though:
    DSC0001Frame.

Or is this actually a juvenile male with the red shoulder patches? The one in this thread also has more yellow under the chin than I was expecting.

Thanks for the ID, and I am SO happy to publicly show my lack of knowledge to the WHOE WIDE WORLD....going off to pout in the corner now...... :oops:

8. Thanks, Gale, Dennis, Legh and Bryan. It was really funny watching the ducklings walking across the lilly pads, with Mama swimming along with the brood. I have been told that at this time of the year the males are going through a real plummage change, and are embarassed because they no long look "really cool", so we don't see them out :lol: . I was fortunate enough to see the pair earlier in the year however, and I love the colors on the male.

Thanks, all, now I just need better light, dangit.....

9. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Awesome series Bill. Each one is wonderful...and the last, outstanding!

10. Oh man.........

Bill absolutely luv the wood duck pics, beautifully done. Im in awe.............they are very rare around here, but guess down south they have a few here. The males I think are the nicest of all the ducks!!!

Way to go!!!!
    Keith

p.s If I see a D2x for $2k, I 'll buy one and test it out for you. :lol: :lol: :lol: Least I could do!

11. wow bill that last shot is SPECTACULAR! And yes, that looks like a first-summer male.

can't get over what a great shot that is!!

12. Thanks, Frank and Keith.

Keith, the Wood Ducks are not rare down here, we have at least a couple of pairs on Lake Washington that hang around Juanita. When I was out on the Puffin trip a couple of weeks ago we saw some Harlequin ducks, but I did not get any good shots of those.

As to the $2k D2X, you can test it for me, no problem, but only for a week :lol:

13. Thanks a lot Janet, that image is pretty much full-frame as well. The bird landed quite close to me, and the pose, well, you have to get really lucky once in a while :lol: :lol:

Now that I have been wrong TWICE in the same thread :oops: :oops: , how the heck do you know all of this stuff, eh? I went searching for Juvenile Male RRWB and found several web pages, including 2 with photos. The first photo was much darker in coloration than this, but the second, while quite out-of-focus, was a dead-ringer. The first hit was this long PDF file describing all of the plumage but with no pictures, but the "looks like a female" gave me a clue. Sibley's gives no hint of this, at least not the field guide, so where the heck do I look?

As to the female "Female can be mistaken for sparrows; note larger size, thin bill, dense streaks below", right from Sibley's, so I don't feel so dumb about that one now :wink:

Thanks for the info and the very nice comment on the Juvenile Male. I think I'd better fix that on my web page as well. And thanks, in advance, for more pointers on resources for ID's.

14. Awesome series Retief, thanx for sharing. Wonderful images.

15. Thanks, Yanni, waiting to see some of yours now :wink: