Wood Ducks from Juanita Beach

Discussion in 'Birds' started by james thiel, Sep 17, 2005.

1. I went to Juanita Beach last night on my way home to get some fresh air. It has been pretty slow there lately but I did manage to get some duck pictures. It looks like the wood ducks are beginning to show up again. I really like to watch these guys. I almost got a couple of them flying away, but stupid me had my back turned to them at the moment of take off :frown: :frown:

These were all with the D2X and Sigma 500 f4.5 and 1.4 Nikon TC.

original.

View attachment 15582

This guy could not keep his eyes open. He kept nodding off until another duck came by and woke him up.

View attachment 15583

View attachment 15584

Then this one is my favorite.

View attachment 15585

View attachment 15586

View attachment 15587

View attachment 15588

2. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Nice set James
    what good looking ducks in a neat setting, very well depicted
    I'm still working on some decent ones of my own :rolleyes:

these shots look real crisp and clean

3. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Wonderful series, Jim! They are such pretty birds to photograph and you've captured them very well.

4. I have always liked the Wood Ducks. These are great shots. I must agree that number 5 is my favorite as well.

5. Nice ducks Jim!

BTW, I will be down on the 8th October, going to San Diego, maybe you, me and Bill Dewey can hook up?

6. I always enjoy images of Wood Ducks. Thanks for sharing yours Jim.

7. Thanks guys for the kind comments.

I would love to get together with you and Bill Andreas. I will just be getting back from the Grand Tetons so I am not sure what my schedule will be. I will contact Bill and we can set up a time to meet. Maybe the bird activity will pick up by then as well.

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I missed these the first time through Jim. I really like wood ducks, though I've not gotten a chance to shot them in the wild. So colorful.

Nice images. :smile:

9. these can be a most challenging subject. Great series James

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I love your duckies :>)))

Beautiful images.

We don't have them in the wild where I live. I do have some from the Zoo though. Those weren't easy either :>)))

11. Just curious. is this the Juanita park with the boardwalks or the north beach with the recreation area?

I used to live close and would get lunch at Spud's.

I need to drop by, looks like a good place.

12. I don't remember having seen this species before. Great series. It's incredible the compression you get with your 500mm + TC. You could go for some unique graphical compositions with this gear.

13. Ron this is just south of the main Juanita Crossing (100 av/116th st), by the boardwalk, you park on the Kirkland side of the old wood bridge/boardwalk, then walk out to the little platforms there.

To think that I lived about a mile away from it up on Finn Hill for 5 years with a view right at it and didnt know until this spring how god it is, is really really bad!

14. This is the one with the boardwalks. It is my favorite spot so far. I have been going to this place for close to a year now. It is interesting to see how it changes with the seasons. Thanks for looking.

15. Thanks Jim. Great pictures.

Since I am retired now, I have time to haunt some of these places when the weather is good. I am a little short of reach, 70-200 + 1.7 TC, but will give it a try anyway.

16. Ron, Juanita is a place you can shoot often with the 70-200 with 1.7 tc. I shot for a year there with the 70-200 and 2xtc. The ducks will come in pretty close so you can get some good shots. The GBH also will come in close. I think later this month will provide some good opportunities.