1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Wood Ducks part II

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Chris_B, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    This male is one of the 3 Wood Duck couples that appear to be breading at a pond near my house. I shot these with the 300 f/4 + 1.7TC handheld.

76276428.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 87321

View attachment 87322

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Those ducks are so beautiful they look unreal
    Beautiful shots
    Good work

3. Beautiful - hopefully we'll get some baby shots soon!!??????

4. Nice job on these, Chris. You've really captured those wonderful colors.

Any tips on getting close? I see breeding pairs near my house every year, but they are exceedingly shy.

5. Great colors and sharp, Well done, but then who ever saw a Ugly Wood Duck. LOL

Great Set!!!

6. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks all for the kind comments.

The ducks in the pond are as close to doscile as a Wood Duck gets. The pond is about 20 feet from a walking path and about 10 feet lower. I guess that with all the people jogging by, they get used to it. There is a platform there for looking over the pond and it makes a great observation deck. People occasionally throw bread in and the ducks will come up on the bank for it. Jim Strathearn suggest feed corn to get them to come in close. You could try something like that Dave.

7. WildBill

WildBill

Mar 20, 2006
    Hammonton, New Jersey
    Bill
    Picture perfect Chris, you are very lucky!

Bill

8. I love wood ducks. Saw some last week at the Tacoma Zoo. Still unprocessed. Will post this week.

9. WOW, those duckies are gorgeous! I can't even claim a favorite - okay, all of em! :biggrin:

10. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.