1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Wood Storks In OHIO??!!!

Discussion in 'Birds' started by sjlarue, Sep 7, 2008.

1. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    Hey! You guys down south missing a few Juvi Wood Storks? :biggrin: About two or three days before Gustav hit land I started getting email reports of Wood Storks in Ohio...That's like finding Polar Bears in Florida outside of a zoo. (Possible but not probable.) I think that in the past ten years, the amount reported can be counted on one hand...including these three:

First the Perching:

_DSC4734.
    NIKON D300    ---    440mm    f/16.0    1/125s    ISO 200

_DSC4775.
    NIKON D300    ---    440mm    f/10.0    1/125s    ISO 200

_DSC4800.
    NIKON D300    ---    440mm    f/10.0    1/125s    ISO 200

Then the fishing:

_DSC4857.
    NIKON D300    ---    420mm    f/6.0    1/125s    ISO 200

_DSC4926.
    NIKON D300    ---    440mm    f/6.3    1/125s    ISO 800

_DSC4973.
    NIKON D300    ---    440mm    f/6.3    1/200s    ISO 800

Does anyone know why they do that wing thing? Do they always hunt in packs like this? Any info that you guys have would help us up here understand thier behavior better.

These posted above and a few more are posted here:

http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s226/sjlarue/OOSociety/Wood Storks/

For those in Ohio and don't know about it yet here is Google Map showing location:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...d=111124962307056523138.00045652e41293b2fb7ae

If you want better written directions then PM me and I will send you a copy of the email with the directions from 83.

Enjoy.

2. Mike S

Mike S

Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle, WA USA
    Very interesting. I'd like to know more about the "wing thing" too.

Nice shots.

3. Many birds use their wings like that to shield the reflection on the water so they can see into the water to find food/fish. Other times they do that to see if their deoderant is working. *-) It's pretty common to see waiding birds like the wood stork to feed in groups. Security in numbers. Then again it's not uncommon to see a single stork working the waters for food either. Woodies and spoonbills seem to like to have company .

4. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    The thing about it is that it was always the same bird that brought it's wing up like that and they would sort of go in circles all away around the pond. And that bird also seemed to lead wherever they went. I likened it to a dance....that and the three ugly witches from Macbeth :biggrin:....(Gawack! Double double toil and trouble fire brew and couldrons bubble...) It was a wierd but fun day that day.

5. Suppose that bird could have had a damaged wing or injury ??

6. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    It didn't seem to have a problem with it, the only other thing in the area was a GB Heron so maybe it was trying to look bigger. Even though they were bigger that the GBH.

7. There is the possibility the bird was shy and didn't want you taking it's photo....thus shielding it's face. :) 

8. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    :biggrin:

9. Nice shots! ya never know what Mother Nature will bring ya! Nikon - never leave home without it! :wink::biggrin:

10. russowl

russowl

Jun 9, 2008
    Lima,Ohio
    Great treat to see and great captures ,,, what a day huh ,,,, don't ya just love surprises,,,,

11. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    Thanks,
    My thoughts exactly. I took my camera to the dentist today just in case.
    It was a great day. Russ if you haven't gone, it's a relatively easy trip from your area, the only thing is the amount of driving for me it was 3 hrs one way and I took a wrong turn and took the long way home. :biggrin: I would plan to get there around 4:30 and plan to stay till 7 just follow the google map and look for a V shaped pond in the wooded valley. If you come in from 83 it's Tyson Road. From 93 it's Township "Highway" (more like gravel road) 145.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.