Wood Urn

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by greyflash, Jul 10, 2017.

1. My brother-in-law died a few months ago and because I do woodworking his wife asked me if I would make an Urn for his ashes. The image is just an iPhone picture so is nothing special but I thought that there may be some on this site that would find it interesting. The top is Bubinga and the sides are maple. It loads from the bottom by removing 6 small screws. I had a small plaque made for the top with his name and dates of birth and death.

Wood Urn.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Those types of urn boxes are very special. I made one for my mothers ashes. Nice workmanship.

3. Very nice craftsmanship Gordon. I'm sure it will be well loved by your sister-in-law.

It's good to see you again. Haven't been here much myself lately and is nice to see some of the longtime members. Hope all is well and you aren't melting from the heat!

4. Thanks for the nice comment.

Hey Brian, yes I am melting from the heat. It has been over 100 for the last couple of weeks with a 111 degrees at one point. Glad to see that you are still here.

5. Gordon, pardon me for saying this, but this far from "nothing special", both the box and the picture are special indeed. Just goes to show what even an iPhone can do in capable hands ;) The background, well, another story ...

Good to see you.

6. Thanks Bill. The problem with getting away from being a photographer and just being a woodworker is that you no longer think about the presentation but rather just that you completed your project. Background is my workshop. :eek:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  7. very beautiful! My Dad was good at woodworking too - love your choice of woods too!

8. Thanks Dianne, the Bubinga wood is definitely pretty.

9. Gordon! It is SO nice to see you around these parts again! It has been a long time...... Welcome back! :)

That is a lovely urn, with beautiful wood -- especially on the top. I'm unfamiliar with Bubinga wood, but I am liking what I see. What a nice way to honor your brother-in-law!

10. I love wood--living or dead, but the only skills I have is to admire it. Love the simplicity of this and the harmony of the two woods.

Stay cool.

11. Hey Connie, nice to hear from you. Thanks for your comments.

Thank you Nick. On another topic, my daughter and her husband used to live in Moscow, Idaho. He was the Defensive Coordinator at the University of Idaho. Much water under the bridge since then and he is now the Assistant Head Football Coach at BYU.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017