Critique Wood

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by manzico, Jan 4, 2018.

1. I went out to shoot some landscapes in Sabino Canyon but I ended up doing mostly detail stuff. It was dryer than usual and there were some spots that I usually couldn't get to that had some interesting stuff piled up. I ended up focusing on some fallen trees:

#1:
    166800050.ihbsFwGe.Texture_of_Time.

#2:
    166800051.ooM0SQCy.Time.

#3:
    166800047.fHHcutGW.Ring_of_Fire.

As always, CC are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

• Like Like x 1
  2. I really like the third one because of the diagonal lines, interesting shapes and the combination of warm and cool tonalities.

The first two images might be a little overly sharpened, but perhaps only in these downsized versions and not in your original full-size files.

3. I think you’re right about the sharpening. I’m still getting a feel for how far to go on the sharpening with the new camera. I went a little far but it looked ok. Then I pushed the vibrancy and I think the combo took it over the edge.

Thanks,

Dave

4. midocr

midocr

Mar 28, 2008
    OH - IO
    Mike
    I am always fascinated by the textures of wood. I like the 2nd and 3rd image because of the diagonals. As for the sharpening, have you tried High Pass Sharpening? I use it almost exclusively in Photoshop and find that it does a much better job than the Sharpen Filter. It adds a subtle degree of sharpening and brings out details without over-sharpening.

5. Third image is a piece of art. Lovely colors, shapes and texture.

6. Thanks. I've used most sharpening methods although to be honest I've gotten into a pretty comfortable flow for sharpening in Lightroom before I transition to Photoshop. Of course there are always exceptions. My personal favorite method in Photoshop is USM coupled with a find edges based mask (and some manual mask modifications).

I did end up reprocessing the first shot with a softer sharpening setting, but the other two look great even at 100% so I must be getting comfortable with the sweet spot for the new camera.

Thanks,

Dave

7. cxk

cxk

Jan 8, 2018
    I appreciate the second & third more. Initially the sharpness of the first image was a little hard on the eyes but would make lovely prints i'm sure

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.