Wooden Fishing Boat and D2X

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by LarryJacobson, Jun 1, 2005.

1. I'm constantly amazed at the D2X. This one was taken Memorial Day weekend. Used walk around lens, VR 24-120, at 28mm, Aperture Priority, 1/40 sec - F/13, ISO 400.

[​IMG]

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Ah OH!!!! I love Chris Craft boats!!! Nice set of pics you have on your site.

3. Patrick,

Thanks for your comments.

Yes we're big fans of Chris Craft. We have been restoring a 1961, 17' Ski Boat for going on five years.

-Larry

4. Larry,

Like Patrick, I too love the old Chris Crafts. Would love to own one, but the $'s, and time that would have to be invested to keep it in the condition it deserves would be just too much for me. So I'm just content to look and say WOW every time I see one.

Took a look at your site and saw the poster from Lake Hopatcong. We moved to the lake 2 years ago, and it still has a good population of Chris's there. We live just down the cove from the old Wayne's Marine. From what I have been told Wayne was know all over the country for his restoration work on Chris Crafts. It's now called Northwood Marine, and they still have a fair number of them docked and stored there.

The Lake Hopatcong Yacht Club is having their annual Antique Boat Show on June 25th this year. Any plans on going and doing a 2005 poster this year?

I've been trying to take some shots of the various "historical" places on the lake. So far I've managed Northwood Marine, the yacht club and the Windlass restaurant. Still have a few to go.

Steve

5. Steve,

Yes, we plan to attend the show for our fourth straight year. This is a very nice show and I highly recommend it.

If you plan to attend, look for me wearing a Nikon Cafe Cap (if I get it in time).

Hope to see you there.

-Larry

6. Larry,

My wife and I were there last year. Other years we simply did a quick drive by in our boat and looked. But last year we drove over to the yacht club and enjoyed ourselves for a few hours as we walked up and down the docks.

I think the Cobra was my favorite from last year.

I'll keep an eye out for the hat.

Steve

7. Steve,

Very likely the Cobra you are referring to is "Miss Madeline", owned by Don Ploetner. Cobras very rare and definitely a favorite. Here's a stern view of Don's boat from last year's show.

[​IMG]

-Larry

8. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    That is beautiful!

9. Larry,

Miss Madeline is definitely the one. In fact, here's a shot of her that I took.

Steve

[​IMG]

10. Larry,

Here is the other Chris that my wife and I both liked.

Steve

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/img]

11. Steve,

Your wife and you have good taste. "Dynamite" is a 1950 16' Runabout and is owned by Lee Kievit. Apparently Chris Craft produced very few boats that used the small cowling seen on the port engine hatch.

BTW: Nice shots.

-Larry

12. Larry,

For a Runabout produced in 1950, Dynamite was in pristine condition. I mean we're talking about that Chris first hitting the water 55 years ago and looking as good now as it did then.

Here's a shot I got of the yacht club that day. Processed with a "POP" action.

How about some shots of the Chris that you're restoring?

Steve

[​IMG]

13. Steve,

Okay you “twisted my arm”. Here are a few shots of “TEAL” our 17’, 1961 Chris Craft, Ski Boat. Note that she is not anywhere close to the quality of the two Chris Crafts above.

This is the bow shot right before restoration:

[​IMG]

The bow after 12 coats of varnish
    [​IMG]

Here are a few shots of TEAL at the 2002 Bay State Woodies Show:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We have attempted to match the upholstery as closely to the orginal as possible. As you probably know, Chris Craft, particularly in the 50s and 60s tried to emulate cars as closely as possible. The upholstery and steering sheel should look very much like a Ford Falcon of the era.

Thanks for asking about her.

-Larry

14. Larry,

TEAL is gorgeous. You ought to be very proud of her and all of the hard work that you put in. Would love to see her at the Lake Hopatcong show.

Steve

15. Steve,

Thanks for your nice comments. Teal has a long way to go before ready to show again. She is currently having her engine repaired, and then I have to do some work on the bottom and apply another coat of varnish.

The great thing about photography is how selective one can be about how present a subject in "the best light". Many of us talk about the 5', 10' and 20' rule. Teal current looks good at 20'.

Besides, I'll have my hands full shooting the Hopatcong show! Hope to see you there.

-Larry