Woodies

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Vienna Pics, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Jim Strathearn turned me on to Woodies from his trip to Cameron County, Pennsylvania last year. We used the same guide that we used for the Elks this past January. There were 13 woodies in this small pond located right along side a lumber mill and construction company. About the only noise that seemed to get their attention was the diesel train which ran rather close. On the bright side there was only one train a day. By their sound, I could count the number of cars in the train.

I used two blinds. One was a wooden structure in the water - I sat about 3" above the water with my feet dangling in the water. When I first went in, I had to clear out some of the muskrat nesting material and other 'stuff'. The ducks were literally right in front of me. The other blind was a small dome tent blind. I do not know how they did it but Jim and his wife were in it last time - I barely had enough space myself with two tripods and cameras. I pulled two pics and still have a lot to PP.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Great photos. That second shot has some nice color.

3. Very pretty ducks! Those woodies certainly are colorful! Beautiful!

4. Looks like you had a good time Mark! Looking forward to seeing some more pics...

Muskrat??? :eek:

5. keirin

keirin

Dec 31, 2005
    What handsome creatures, nicely rendered here.

6. Very nice captures, Mark. They are so beautiful.

7. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Troy, Dianne, Jim, Keirin & Phil,

Thank you very much for your kind comments - these ducks are indeed very colorful which makes up for the effort as they are very skiddish. They also have an interesting peeping sound which they are not afraid to sound. What an advanture 'sitting' in the middle of 13 of this woodies - only possible using a blind.

8. Good ones! Saw them at the zoo recently, very colorful. Do you have a picture or link of that blind? I want to have an idea what that looks like.

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow very pretty

10. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    I have atleast one shot with 3/4 of the wood blind - I have to check if I have the domed one - which one are you interested in?

11. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Thank you Gale - I have more to PP - same old story - take too many shots and not enough time to PP - I have some Cherry blossoms that I also have to PP.

12. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Thank you Ray - do you have these in the great white north? We saw a lot of your snow geese and tundra swans at middle creek in Pennsylvania a few weeks back. Can't wait to get back to Middle Creek next year.

13. Oh, I misunderstood as I thought the wooden one was provided "by nature". I was curious about that tent style one but if you have a pic or link of that wooden one I would like to see that too. I don't have a clue how these blinds look like and how big they are.

Thanks,

14. Absolutely beautiful. I was able to shoot woodies yesterday, but did not get anything like yours. The drakes are soo colorful.

15. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    The water droplets and the overall browns make the first image work very nicely. The colorful male is always a beauty and you captured him in some nice lighting that saturated his colors. Good work!

16. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    I have been tied up with parenting stuff this week - I will see if I can put the blind to the top of the PP list tonight.

17. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Thank you OhCorgis - I hope you post yours as well - they are great ducks to photograph.

18. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Andy, Thank you - I was really surprised when I downloaded my nefs - this was the first photo that I took - the water droplets were an added bonus.

19. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Here are two shoots of the blinds - I was actualy trying to NOT get the blinds in the shots - the wooden blind shows better than the 'tent' - I will see if I can find one on the internet and will post a link.

The wooden one is about 3'x3' and 3' above water - it sits in the water - the back side has a hinge on the top and lifts up to let you in. There is a bench to shoot off of a bench about 3" off of the water with my legs in the water. Their is a hole in the front with double camo screen - you put your lens through the screen. The 'tent' had two 'gun' holes and I sat on a 5 gallon bucket - could have used a folding chair but it would have been harder working the two camera/tripods. It was easier to shift on the bucket.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2007