WooHoo!!! Fedex left a package today,

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by BUCKEYE BIKER, May 3, 2007.

1. it was a "new to me" 300 f/4 AF ED IF" from KEH. I posted a question April 25th titled ,"What do you guys and gals think?" After considering my budget and my needs, I decided to try a "bargain lens", a 300 f/4 with a dented filter ring.

I called KEH to ask if I could get any more information on the condition of the lens. The sales person got the information I was looking for, called me back, and I decided to take a chance. The lens is in what I think is very good condition other than the ring dent. Glass is clean, finish is good and it functions flawlessly. It is missing the internal screw in filter, and has no lens caps, which they told me about. Other than that, it is great! Here are some quick samples.

482952120_2afcccb084_o.

View attachment 93628

View attachment 93629

I bought it for $349.00. What do you think. Did I get a "Bargain". Honest opinion appreciated. I will undoughtedly be looking for the internal 39mm UV filter. If anyony has an extra, please pm me.

Thanks for all your information and advice concerning the 300 f/4 on the other post, and thanks for looking.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2007
  2. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Sounds like a great deal... and the images prove it too.:biggrin:

3. That's good price and the images are sharp.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great pics
    Super lens
    Heck no you did not make a mistake

5. I think you did OK.

Have fun,

George.

6. Thanks everyone. I am thrilled with it right now. I know it's not very exciting compared to some of the equipment I read about here, but it is the best telephoto I have owned.

I'm sure glad I'm not shooting film now. I would be broke just from today, LOL. For lack of anything better in the yard, I'm shooting dead dandelions again, with my kenko 1.5x.

7. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Only thing separating it from the 300 2.8 is a light stop or two It's a prime, and will perform well! Enjoy, and no regrets!

8. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    Nice lens! I don't think you'll need a UV filter as UV light doesn't affect digital as much as it did with film.

So how do you cover the front of the lens with a dented filter thread?

9. Get one of the OP/TEC lens covers. They are neoprene and work great. GREAT buy!!

Cheers
    Nancy

10. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    AN inexpensive solution is one of the new Op/Tech Neoprene ("spandex") lens covers stocked at B&H. Just measure the outside diameter and select one with the best fit.

11. Looks like a good deal. Sharp as well as the proud duck mom shows.

12. I'm not familiar with them. Do you know where I could purchase one?

13. They call them a Hood Hat.

Nancy

14. Haven't gotten that far yet. Others here have mentioned OP/TEC covers. Will look into that. Thanks for the information on the internal filter. So far, looks like it is not that important unless to help keep dust out of the front portion of the lens. As you probably know, the aperature blades are exposed.

I have a rear cap.

15. Yeah, the little guys were kinda fuzzy, (no pun intended) LOL. DOF is pretty shallow.

16. Good deal and looks great!